Boyd McMasters, troubleshooter for the Cattlemen's Protective Association, is in Smoke Tree, Arizona, investigating numerous complaints of cattle rustling. A copper mine robbery, a pair of illegal lynchings and several other deadly confrontations all lead to a showdown in, of all places, the town cemetery. Violence. 4th novel in the "McMasters" series, 1995.
Ranging from traditional approaches to the most contemporary perspectives, such as feminist and gender studies, cultural studies, and postcolonial studies, A Handbook of Critical Approaches to Literature offers readers a variety of clearly articulated approaches to interpreting literature. This thoroughly updated sixth edition applies these diverse approaches to the same six classic works--"To His Coy Mistress," "Young Goodman Brown," "Everyday Use," Hamlet, Huckleberry Finn, and Frankenstein--in a way proven to elicit student analysis by enriching their response to and understanding of the individual works and critical theory. (Andrew Marvell's poem "To His Coy Mistress," Nathaniel Hawthorne's story "Young Goodman Brown," and Alice Walker's story "Everyday Use" are included in full within this volume. )
Boyd McMasters, after three months of wandering aimlessly around the country, drunk, finds himself in Oklahoma City. He has suffered a great personal loss, the death of his wife and unborn child at the hands of a gang of ruthless outlaws, and is drowning his sorrow in whiskey. He dimly remembers that his brother, the president of the cattleman's protective association, lives and works in the city and goes to see him. His brother, shocked at both Boyd's mental and physical condition, takes him to a very special woman friend who quickly nurses him back to health. Fully recovered, physically at least, Boyd then begins a new career-troubleshooter for the cattleman's protective association. And in Kansas, where Boyd draws his first assignment, there is big trouble brewing. Violence. 1st novel in the "McMasters" series, 1995.
Down near the Rio Grande, Captain Boyd McMasters of the Cattleman's Protective Association is on the trail of a bunch of moonlight rustlers. Word is, the boss of the robbers is a powerful honcho across the border. Folks say this midnight cowboy has some mean hombres in his employ. But McMasters has the big .70 working for him.
Captain Boyd McMasters, of the Cattleman's Protective Association, is through with taking prisoners. He has already put Curly and Frank Dobbs behind bars once, for murder and rape. When he catches up with them for their latest crimes he has resolved to get rid of them permanently.
Cattleman Protective Association Captain Boyd McMasters is sent to Silver Creek, Texas, to investigate a case of cattle rustling involving four prize bulls worth about $20,000. That's enough money to kill for, it seems, because someone keeps drawing a bead on McMasters every time he goes into town. When McMasters figures out who's behind it all, he's going to lay down the law.
A twisted bunch called the Hell Killers kill and mutilate cattle before moving on to the ranchers and their families. The Cattleman's Protective Association is fighting back, and has sent McMasters to collect the bounties on the heads of the killers.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.