- Table View
- List View
Susie just turned six. What exciting thing can Susie do now? Susie is determined to succeed in her ballet class.
Through the mist before her eyes Maggie saw Kirk Sherwood, the only boy she had dated in high school. He had said good-bye the night before, not wanting to intrude on the last-minute family farewells. Maggie suddenly realized that never again --no matter what happened --even if she flopped dismally in her dancing career--would anything be the same for her in Spring Valley. She stared at the concrete ribbon of highway spinning out ahead, beckoning them toward New York.
"I've waited three whole years for these pink toe shoes!" No wonder Susie is excited. At last she is to dance on her toes! Surely this will be her happiest year at ballet school. Perhaps she will even win the dance scholarship! Then the new girl comes--unpleasant Mimi who is such a fine dancer. Because of Mimi and her pet monkey, everything seems to go wrong for Susie. Especially when Susie sprains her ankle--just before the big recital. There is a surprise ending to this delightful story. It proves that nothing can stop a girl who wants to dance as much as Susie does.
The Exotic World of The Dance... For seven years Maggie Jones has dedicated herself to the dance, dreaming of the day when she'll be Magda Jonescu, prima ballerina. She must prove herself not only to her generous Aunt Jo, who has paid for the lessons and sent fabulous gifts from exotic places, but also to her doubting family. Neither Maggie's father, who is allergic to her feathery costumes, nor her younger brother, who thinks dancing is for sissies, can understand the forces which drive Maggie to practice for hours on end. On Maggie struggles, assailed by doubts, but sustained by her dreams and a yellowed ballet slipper--kept under glass--in which Pavlova danced The Swan. Success comes to Maggie in a strange, unbelievable way and, faced with a golden opportunity, she must learn how to compromise reality with her dreams.
Vacation at the shore! An intriguing beach house called The Crow's Nest! Cats, kittens and a delightful dancing family await the reader of this third book about Susie Peters. A children's performance of The Nutcracker ballet climaxes a perfect summer for Susie.
No sooner had A DANCE FOR SUSIE appeared in print than letters began to arrive from mothers of young, would-be ballerinas, asking for more stories about Susie, so SUSIE AND THE DANCING CAT is pleasurably presented! The heroine is older in this follow-up yet independent story, nine, and working hard at her ballet lessons so that she can graduate into the precious pink toe shoes, the dream of every youthful dancer. How Susie achieves this end, performs in various recitals, and persuades her dancing teacher--and her doubting poodle--to adopt a stray cat, make a delightful pictured story. Here again is authentic dance school background, plus amusing situations in and out of which Susie constantly finds herself, some gentle advice on animal care, and, for parents, another helpful note, this time touching on the all-important subject of the purchasing of properly fitting toe shoes--information that will be warmly welcomed by all parents of dancing daughters--and sons. Once more the noted artist-illustrator, Jane Miller, has provided many agile and engaging drawings.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.