Showing 1 through 1 of 1 results
On March 25, 1911, 146 employees of the Triangle Shirtwaist Company in New York City were killed in the span of a few minutes because no provision had been made for their safety in the event of fire. The Cornell edition of Leon Stein's 1962 account features 16 illustrations, some never before published. A new introduction by the journalist William Greider makes clear that accounts of dangerous workplaces and sweatshop conditions are still all-too-relevant today, ninety years after the fire. The story of the catastrophe and the doomed Triangle Shirtwaist workers, as told by one of the great labor journalists, will not soon be forgotten. Praise for the 1962 edition- "Stein . . . recreate[s] the tragic events of the fire in all their dramatic intensity. His moving account is a work of dedication. "-New York Times Book Review "With commendable restraint, [Stein] uses newspapers, official documents, and the evidence of survivors to unfold a story made more harrowing by the unemotional simplicity of its narration. "-Library Journal "Stein . . . suggests that the fire alerted the public to shocking working conditions all over the city and helped the unions organize the clothing industry, but his good taste keeps him from selling the reader any silver lining. A by-product of the careful research that has gone into this excellent narrative is an interesting sketch of the hard lives and times of working girls in the days when the business of America was business. "-New Yorker
Showing 1 through 1 of 1 results
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading
tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.
See and hear words read aloud
Listen to books with audio only
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice
installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only
mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading
tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without
downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation
required). Other browsers can be used with limited features.
Read in Braille
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona
pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed.
Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using
the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter,
section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.