- Table View
- List View
A philologist's gold mine! Thomas recounts the history of the usage of words as well as the etymology of English words. The Latin, Greek and Sanskrit roots are accurate. (Note to parents: this book does cover some words which you might not want your youth to read without your supervision.) Index of English words (back of book) provides a fine resource for students. A funny, informative and creative look at words. A fascinating read.
Extending beyond the usual limitations of biological science and into a vast and wondrous world of hidden relationships, this provocative book explores in personal, poetic essays to topics such as computers, germs and language.
The discovery of these genes and their role in human malignancy has been one of the most dramatic events in biology in the late twentieth century. In this book, Angier describes scientist Bob Weinberg, his research lab, and the dozens of scientists who work towards understanding the oncogene. She describes the dynamic of the lab and its workers as well as the details of each gene experiment.
From the 1920s when he watched his father, a general practitioner who made house calls and wrote his prescriptions in Latin, to his days in medical school and beyond, Lewis Thomas saw medicine evolve from an art into a sophisticated science.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.