- Table View
- List View
Fourteen unforgettable short stories about mothers by some of the finest writers of our time, contains fiction about both young mothers and older mothers, from the perspective of sons, daughters, and mothers themselves. These stories about motherhood and childhood explore their subject from different and sometimes startling angles, but each touches on the complexity and poignancy-not the sentimentality-of being or having a mother. More than anything else, these stories explore the relationships within all kinds of families-most powerfully, the relationship between mother and child. Included here are Michael Dorris's "Groom Service," about an arranged marriage within a matriarchal society; Frank O'Connor's hilarious "My Oedipus Complex," which describes a small boy's reluctance to share his mother; Alice Walker's "Everyday Use," about a mother's staunch defense of herself and her heritage against her daughter; Charles Baxter's "Fenstad's Mother," in which an aged mother is still wiser than her middle-aged son; and stories by, among others, Hortense Calisher, Mary Lavin, and Pearl S. Buck. In Praise of Mothers will be enjoyed by anyone who is a mother or has a mother-and most of all, by anyone who loves the literary short story
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.