- Table View
- List View
The Norton Reader began as an attempt to introduce students to the essay as a genre, and to create an anthology of excellent nonfiction writing. This new edition offers a wide selection of essays on a broad range of subjects--from Jhumpa Lahiri recalling the town in Rhode Island where she grew up to Peter Singer contemplating how much billionaires should give, to Rita Dove meditating on her religious heritage.
The shorter tenth edition of The Norton Reader happily blends the new and the old. It includes twenty-four new essays by twenty-three new authors. New annotations and study questions appear with many of the essays, whether old or new. The tenth edition also includes many favorite, now canonical essays: Joan Didion's "On Keeping a Notebook," George Orwell's "Shooting an Elephant," Martin Luther King Jr.'s "Letter from Birmingham Jail," Virginia Woolf's "A Room of One's Own"--to name only a few.
Since the first edition in 1965, The Norton Reader has upheld a tradition of anthologizing excellent prose.
With readings in a wide variety of genres, subjects, and styles, it offers the largest and most thoughtfully chosen collection of essays for composition students today. The Twelfth Edition has been carefully revised, with 25 percent of its readings new and an extensive new introduction to reading and writing with guidelines to all the elements cited in the WPA Outcomes Statement. Available in two editions: a full edition, with 206 readings; and a shorter edition, with 123.
This book helps in dealing with the issues associated with pet loss specifically when euthanasia is involved: It delves into the decision-making process as well as the feelings of guilt that often times overwhelm you as the loss sets in. Wonderful book for anyone who is having trouble coming to terms with the decision or feelings that have followed such a decision
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.