- Table View
- List View
The Norton Reader began as an attempt to introduce students to the essay as a genre, and to create an anthology of excellent nonfiction writing. This new edition offers a wide selection of essays on a broad range of subjects--from Jhumpa Lahiri recalling the town in Rhode Island where she grew up to Peter Singer contemplating how much billionaires should give, to Rita Dove meditating on her religious heritage.
The shorter tenth edition of The Norton Reader happily blends the new and the old. It includes twenty-four new essays by twenty-three new authors. New annotations and study questions appear with many of the essays, whether old or new. The tenth edition also includes many favorite, now canonical essays: Joan Didion's "On Keeping a Notebook," George Orwell's "Shooting an Elephant," Martin Luther King Jr.'s "Letter from Birmingham Jail," Virginia Woolf's "A Room of One's Own"--to name only a few.
Since the first edition in 1965, The Norton Reader has upheld a tradition of anthologizing excellent prose.
With readings in a wide variety of genres, subjects, and styles, it offers the largest and most thoughtfully chosen collection of essays for composition students today. The Twelfth Edition has been carefully revised, with 25 percent of its readings new and an extensive new introduction to reading and writing with guidelines to all the elements cited in the WPA Outcomes Statement. Available in two editions: a full edition, with 206 readings; and a shorter edition, with 123.
This book helps in dealing with the issues associated with pet loss specifically when euthanasia is involved: It delves into the decision-making process as well as the feelings of guilt that often times overwhelm you as the loss sets in. Wonderful book for anyone who is having trouble coming to terms with the decision or feelings that have followed such a decision
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.