4th grade textbook.
Travel with the Marshall family along the Oregon Trail as they set out for a better life in the Oregon Territory. See how they struggled to survive the dangers of the long journey.
The Midwestern region of the United States includes Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, South Dakota, and North Dakota. Readers learn why the Midwest is flat and familiarize themselves with other features of the landscape as they tour the Great Lakes, the Ohio and Missouri Rivers, the Great Plains, the Badlands, and Wind and Jewel Caves. Students learn that the economy of the Midwest consists of "belts" from the Corn Belt to the Dairy Belt to the Manufacturing Belt.
The Northeast region of the United States includes Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and the District of Columbia. Land features of the Northeast region include coastal plains, rocky coastlines, and mountains. The Northeast economy depends heavily on the region's natural resources. Industries include shipping, timber, fishing, manufacturing, and tourism. Tourists to the Northeast region come to hike, swim, ski, camp, and to visit many historical and cultural sights, including the many Smithsonian museums in Washington, D.C.
This guided tour helps students explore the Southeast, which includes the states of Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Florida. Students begin the tour looking at land and water features of the region--the Mississippi River and its delta, the Piedmont, Appalachian Mountains, and the coastal plains.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.