- Table View
- List View
Early Literacy in Preschool and Kindergarten: A Multicultural Perspective is an applied book focusing on how literacy develops in young children and the ways in which teachers can encourage the natural emergence of early reading and writing. It has a special emphasis on multicultural children's literature, including detailed descriptions of over 200 multicultural children's books. Packed with practical supports and strategies for teachers, such as how to set up a literacy-friendly environment; using music and art as natural languages; strengthening finger muscles for writing through 3-D art; developing visual representational skills in drawing, leading to writing; and using early literacy checklists to help understand children's capabilities, it provides many suggestions for using classroom materials and centers to support literacy. While most early literacy texts treat preschool learning in a chapter or two, this entire text focuses on early literacy in the preschool, leading up to children's accomplishments in kindergarten. Early Literacy in Preschool and Kindergarten: A Multicultural Perspective, Third Edition, presents an updated approach to exploring literacy with preschool and kindergarten children. The current recognition that learning to read and write can emerge naturally in young children has led the authors to develop a fresh approach by using classroom learning centers and multicultural children's literature to involve children in their own learning.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.