- Table View
- List View
Early Literacy in Preschool and Kindergarten: A Multicultural Perspective is an applied book focusing on how literacy develops in young children and the ways in which teachers can encourage the natural emergence of early reading and writing. It has a special emphasis on multicultural children's literature, including detailed descriptions of over 200 multicultural children's books. Packed with practical supports and strategies for teachers, such as how to set up a literacy-friendly environment; using music and art as natural languages; strengthening finger muscles for writing through 3-D art; developing visual representational skills in drawing, leading to writing; and using early literacy checklists to help understand children's capabilities, it provides many suggestions for using classroom materials and centers to support literacy. While most early literacy texts treat preschool learning in a chapter or two, this entire text focuses on early literacy in the preschool, leading up to children's accomplishments in kindergarten. Early Literacy in Preschool and Kindergarten: A Multicultural Perspective, Third Edition, presents an updated approach to exploring literacy with preschool and kindergarten children. The current recognition that learning to read and write can emerge naturally in young children has led the authors to develop a fresh approach by using classroom learning centers and multicultural children's literature to involve children in their own learning.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.