- Table View
- List View
From award-winning author Lisa Tuttle comes a riveting novel that combines the contemporary story of one man's search for a missing young woman with history's most enduring legends of the disappeared.
From the critically acclaimed author of The Mysteries comes a haunting, lyrical, and provocative novel of a young woman's coming-of-age betwixt dream and reality. Here there's only one thing more dangerous than desire--getting what you want. . . . As a child, Agnes Grey dreamed of the perfect friend to ease her loneliness: a doll that would talk to her, tell her stories, share her secrets. Only her aunt Marjorie seemed to really understand. Something of an outcast herself, she told Agnes she'd had just such a doll when she was a child. She called it her pillow friend. So when Agnes receives her very own pillow friend--an old-fashioned porcelain doll painted to look like an old-world gentleman--she's certain her dreams have come true. And so they have--but in ways that Agnes could never have imagined. For as the line between fantasy and reality blurs, Agnes discovers that every dream has its price and every desire must be paid for. Be very careful what you wish for. . . he'll surely give it to you. From the Trade Paperback edition.
The acclaimed author of "The Mysteries" returns with another stylish and haunting contemporary fantasy. After a landslide blocks the only passage from a remote Scottish village--where residents are already cut off from the wider world--old legends begin to come to life.
Featuring stories by Mary Jo Putney, Carrie Vaughn, Yasmine Galenorn, M.L.N. Hanover, and Lisa Tuttle these contemporary tales of ill-fated love, originally published in the anthology Songs of Love and Death (edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois) explore romance in five wildly creative settings--from the hidden supernatural side of New York City to werewolf-occupied West Texas.
The islands of Windhaven, a forgotten planetary outpost, are held together by the flyers who travel between the various communities. Birth dictates who looks on in envy and who actually flies. Maris defies this law, borrows wings and takes to the air with an ability previously unheard of - her struggle to hold onto her wings will change Windhaven for ever . . .
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.