- Table View
- List View
Hidden Jewel is the fourth thrilling novel in the V. C. Andrews Landry series. Following All That Glitters, the spellbinding story of Ruby Landrys daring struggle to find a happy life with Beau Andreas and to protect their precious daughter. Sheltered from sorrow, innocent young Pearl thrives in the sunshine of a loving home. . . except for the haunting nightmares of her earliest years, and the dark family secrets she worries will one day shadow her destiny. . . . Raised in a New Orleans mansion filled with kindness and laughter, Pearl dreams of becoming a doctor. With all the finest families wishing her well, her high school graduation party is almost as festive as Mardi Gras itself. But still, she fears that she will never know the essence of romantic passion, or her familys buried secrets. Yet her summer job in an elegant old hospital is fascinating. . . and an experienced intern is eager to share his friendship with her. But the sultry Louisiana heat cannot dispel her familys sinful legacy, the snakelike treachery of a man who threatens Pearls innocence, or an awful portent of disaster. After a cruel accident befalls one of Pearls twin brothers, the bayou that seized him beckons to Ruby who flees, tormented, back to her Cajun roots. Pearls faith in her mother abides, but she cannot hold back her tears when her other brother falls deathly ill, and her father retreats into his own bourbon-soaked world. Pearls dreams of success swirl away with the hurricane winds, and she journeys to the swamps in search of her mother and the shocking truths of her heritage. In the warm embrace of a gentle Cajun man, she discovers a blessed refuge. But, until the storm clouds clear, Pearl cannot savor the springtime sweetness that always, always seems beyond tomorrow. . . .
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.