- Table View
- List View
INSIDE FRONT COVER - IF TOO MANY WE CAN DELETE - MIX THEM UP TOO IF YOU NEED 'Wonderful' Shelley Harris, author of R&J pick Jubilee 'An original, imaginative investigation into some of the most disturbing episodes of the nation's history' TLS 'Atmospheric, gruesome and compelling' Katie Ward, author of Girl Reading 'Shepherd pulls it off' Independent on Sunday 'Riveting . . . thrilling . . . irresistible. This is a novel that surprised and astounded me time and again' Felix Palma, New York Times bestselling author of The Map of Time 'An ambitious novel' Daily Telegraph 'Marvellous' Robert Low, author of The Oathsworn series and The Kingdom series 'Rich in atmosphere' Financial Times 'A truly superb book . . . A five-star triumph . . . buy it, and buy it now' bookgeeks. co. uk 'Intelligent . . . cleverly constructed . . . tantalising' Essie Fox, author of The Somnambulist You can practically lick the sea salt off these pages. What an exuberant, daring, swashbuckling, deftly written, savagely delivered (epecially towards the end) story. Love the gothic, Frankensteinesque twist but I'm saying no more. Reminded me a bit of David Mitchel in parts. Patrick O'Brian, too. Shepherds not afraid to take a few risks, like Mitchel when it comes to pushing the envelope prose-wise and I like that in a writer. Lots of thematic ideas here, bursting at the seams to get your histo'. . . moreExuberant, daring, swashbuckling, deftly written, savagely delivered' D. E. Meredith, author of The Devil's Ribbon INSIDE BACK COVER: AUTHOR BIO AUTHOR PHOTO (colour, smiley) Lloyds website and twitter address
LONDON 1812: For forty years Britain has dreamed of the Pacific island of Tahiti, a dark paradise of bloody cults and beautiful natives. Now, decades after the first voyage of Captain Cook, a new ship returns to London from the Pacific, crammed with botanical specimens and laden also, it seems, with the mysteries of Tahiti. John Harriott, magistrate of the Thames river police, is asked to take a personal interest in the security of the ship and its cargo. So when, days after the Solander's arrival, some of its crew are found dead and their sea-chests ransacked - their throats slashed, faces frozen into terrible smiles - Harriot puts constable Charles Horton in charge of the investigation. But what connects the crewmen's dying dreams with the ambitions of the ship's principal backer, Sir Joseph Banks of the Royal Society? And how can Britain's new science possibly explain the strangeness of Tahiti's floral riches now growing at Kew? Horton must employ his singular methods to uncover a chain of conspiracy stretching all the way back to the foot of the great dead volcano Tahiti Nui, beneath the hungry eyes of ancient gods. From the author of the critically acclaimed THE ENGLISH MONSTER. ack flap: Author photo as per TEM paperback. Bio as follows: Lloyd Shepherd is a former journalist and digital producer who has worked for the Guardian, Channel 4, the BBC and Yahoo. He lives in South London with his family. He is the author of THE ENGLISH MONSTER, inspired by the real-life Ratcliffe Highway murders.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.