- Table View
- List View
Inspired by folk traditions and the wholesome purity of natural wool yarns, this collection of 20 stunning patterns for both traditional and contemporary women's garments and accessories is perfect for the modern knitter. The traditions of the quintessential knitting cultures of Iceland, Shetland, Norway, and Sweden are examined, from descriptions of the wools and yarns to the history of the clothing traditionally made from them, including breathtaking photomontages of these classic vintage styles. Exploring a range of techniques and knitwear construction, the projects in this guide feature knitting in the round, steeking, lace, cables, Fair Isle, twined knitting, and embroidery and show how to create pieces such as cardigans, sweaters, blouses, scarves, and hats.
In Northern Knits Gifts, knitwear and textile designer Lucinda Guy continues her exploration of folk-knitting traditions in this colorful volume of small projects and accessories. You'll learn some of the traditional knitting techniques of Scandinavia, Estonia, Iceland, and the Faroe and Shetland islands, through modern interpretations of such heritage techniques as twined knitting, two-color knitting, lace techniques, damask, fair isle, embroidery, and rya (knotted knitting similar to shag carpet).Northern Knits Gifts embraces the Danish notion of hygge - taking pleasure in comforting and cozy things, which is often associated with family and close friends. The 20 projects include mittens, socks, hats, scarves, and bags, and are perfect for wearing and gifting. Emphasizing pattern and color, these knitted designs also embody the Scandinavian aesthetic of making utilitarian objects beautiful as well as useful.Additionally, the book celebrates the specific wools traditionally used in each project. Immerse yourself in Lucinda's world as you enjoy thumbnail sketches of the history and folk culture surrounding each technique.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.