- Table View
- List View
Relates the lives of four generations of women who became the matriarchs of the Hebrew nation.
As his adventures with Little Bear continue, Omri travels from the French and Indian wars to the present, and then back to the Old West at the tum-of-the-century.From the Hardcover edition.
A riveting story about a young girl Stacey whose life is nothing to write home about. School is a bore, friends are appalling while her dad ran off! She lives in a poky flat alone with her mom. Out of nowhere, her glamorous grandma who she's never met shows up to visit -- all the way from Australia. Stacey is relocated to Australia in the heat, dust, flies, and even scorpions and snakes, of the outback. Will all this (plus -- yuck! -- an outside toilet) prove too much for Stacey the city-girl? And is her flashy, rich gran quite who she seems...?
Two tiger cub brothers are torn from the jungle and taken to Rome. The stronger cub is trained as a killer at the Coliseum. Emperor Caesar makes a gift of the smaller cub to his beautiful daughter, Aurelia. She adores her cub, Boots. Julius, a young animal keeper, teaches Aurelia how to earn Boots's trust. Boots is pampered while his brother, known as Brute, lives in the cold and darkness, let out only to kill. Caesar trusts Julius to watch Aurelia and her prized pet. But when a prank backfires, Boots temporarily escapes and Julius must pay with his life. Thousands watch as Julius is sent unarmed into the arena to face the killer Brute.From the Hardcover edition.
"Torn Country" is not so much a history of the Arab-Israeli war but rather a series of recollections and assessments of it by participants. Banks collected interviews and arranged them, to give as clear a picture of the events that took place as possible through the memories and in the words of a wide variety of people who remember them -- sometimes as if they happened yesterday, more often with perspective: events that shaped Jewish history.
Maggie Robertson's desire to escape her puritanical Scottish home and become a stage actress leads her to marriage and motherhood in Africa, alienation from her family, and a long struggle to regain her dream after divorce and more family conflicts and personal heartaches. The "warning bells" marked turning points in Maggie's life, but she often ignored them, and learned to have no regrets in her quest for personal and professional happiness and satisfaction.
A teenage girl takes a journey of self-discovery with her boyfriend, and unwittingly becomes involved in drug smuggling.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.