This book describes a communication paradigm that could shape the future of wireless communication networks, Opportunistic Spectrum Access (OSA) in Cognitive Radio Networks (CRN). While several theoretical OSA approaches have been proposed, they are challenged by the practical limitations of cognitive radios: the key enabling technology of OSA. This book presents an unprecedented formulation of the OSA problem in CNR that takes into account the practical limitations encountered due to existing technologies. Based on such a problem formulation, this book presents a framework and protocol details implementing the analytically-optimized solution of this problem. Unlike the state-of-the-art of CRN implementations that typically target software define radios which are not suitable for real systems, this book describes the implementation of distributed OSA, using practical radio transceiver technologies. It provides a thorough characterization of the gains available to theoretical OSA approaches if the practical limitations are taken into consideration. Tackles the cognitive radio networks performance optimization problem, taking into account the practical limitations of today's technologies; Provides thorough performance evaluation in arbitrary, large-scale networks, as well as microscopic, small-scale performance evaluation, using realistic hardware implementation;Presents an empirical study of the gains available over existing techniques by adopting practical approaches; Tackles the cognitive radio networks performance optimization problem, taking into account the practical limitations of today's technologies; Provides thorough performance evaluation in arbitrary, large-scale networks, as well as microscopic, small-scale performance evaluation, using realistic hardware implementation;Presents an empirical study of the gains available over existing techniques by adopting practical approaches;
This book introduces resource-aware data fusion algorithms to gather and combine data from multiple sources (e.g., sensors) in order to achieve inferences. These techniques can be used in centralized and distributed systems to overcome sensor failure, technological limitation, and spatial and temporal coverage problems. The algorithms described in this book are evaluated with simulation and experimental results to show they will maintain data integrity and make data useful and informative. Describes techniques to overcome real problems posed by wireless sensor networks deployed in circumstances that might interfere with measurements provided, such as strong variations of pressure, temperature, radiation, and electromagnetic noise; Uses simulation and experimental results to evaluate algorithms presented and includes real test-bed; Includes case study implementing data fusion algorithms on a remote monitoring framework for sand production in oil pipelines.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.