- Table View
- List View
I Am Malala. This is my story. Malala Yousafzai was only ten years old when the Taliban took control of her region. They said music was a crime. They said women weren't allowed to go to the market. They said girls couldn't go to school.Raised in a once-peaceful area of Pakistan transformed by terrorism, Malala was taught to stand up for what she believes. So she fought for her right to be educated. And on October 9, 2012, she nearly lost her life for the cause: She was shot point-blank while riding the bus on her way home from school.No one expected her to survive.Now Malala is an international symbol of peaceful protest and the youngest ever Nobel Peace Prize winner. In this Young Readers Edition of her bestselling memoir, which includes exclusive photos and material, we hear firsthand the remarkable story of a girl who knew from a young age that she wanted to change the world -- and did. Malala's powerful story will open your eyes to another world and will make you believe in hope, truth, miracles and the possibility that one person -- one young person -- can inspire change in her community and beyond. With contributions by Patricia McCormick,
When the Taliban took control of the Swat Valley in Pakistan, one girl spoke out. Malala Yousafzai refused to be silenced and fought for her right to an education.On Tuesday, October 9, 2012, when she was fifteen, she almost paid the ultimate price. She was shot in the head at point-blank range while riding the bus home from school, and few expected her to survive. Instead, Malala's miraculous recovery has taken her on an extraordinary journey from a remote valley in northern Pakistan to the halls of the United Nations in New York. At sixteen, she has become a global symbol of peaceful protest and the youngest nominee ever for the Nobel Peace Prize.I AM MALALA is the remarkable tale of a family uprooted by global terrorism, of the fight for girls' education, of a father who, himself a school owner, championed and encouraged his daughter to write and attend school, and of brave parents who have a fierce love for their daughter in a society that prizes sons.I AM MALALA will make you believe in the power of one person's voice to inspire change in the world.
Cuando los talibanes tomaron el control del valle de Swat en Pakistán, una niña alzó su voz. Malala Yousafzai se negó a ser silenciada y luchó por su derecho a la educación.El martes 9 de octubre de 2012, con quince años de edad, estuvo a punto de pagar el gesto con su vida. Le dispararon en la cabeza a quemarropa mientras volvía a casa de la escuela en autobús, y pocos pensaron que fuera a sobrevivir.Sin embargo, la milagrosa recuperación de Malala la ha llevado en un extraordinario periplo desde un remoto valle en el norte de Pakistán hasta las Naciones Unidas en Nueva York. A los dieciséis años se ha convertido en un símbolo global de la protesta pacífica, y es la nominada más joven de la historia para el Premio Nobel de la Paz.Yo soy Malala es el excepcional relato de una familia desterrada por el terrorismo global, de la lucha por la educación de las niñas, de un padre que, él mismo propietario de una escuela, apoyó a su hija y la alentó a escribir y a ir al colegio, y de unos padres valientes que quierena su hija por encima de todo en una sociedad que privilegia a los hijos varones.Yo soy Malala nos hace creer en el poder de la voz de una persona para cambiar el mundo. [With contributions by Christina Lamb and translated by Julia Fernandez]
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.