- Table View
- List View
An artist who excelled at the expression of subtle details and concentrated emotion, Katherine Mansfield ranks among the twentieth century's greatest short story writers. Her elegant, ironic tales reflect her own bohemian lifestyle, which involved tempestuous relationships with Bertrand Russell and Virginia Woolf. This collection of a dozen of Mansfield's finest works features compelling tales of fraught relationships and shattering revelations, all recounted in an intensely visual and impressionistic style. These stories range from throughout Mansfield's brief but prolific career. They include "Prelude," a reminiscence of the author's New Zealand girlhood; "Bliss," involving a young mother's disillusionment; "Je Ne Parle Pas Français," concerning a romantic young woman's betrayal; and "The Garden Party," a contrast of snobbery and social responsibility.
A Vintage Shorts "Short Story Month" Selection An afternoon at the Sheridan's garden party will be perfect. Darling Laura is doing a marvelous job negotiating with the band, workmen, cook, and florist who appears with an unexpected delivery, all without her mother's help. But, distressing news reaches the house just before lunch. A young man from one of the sordid little cottages down the lane was killed in an accident, and suddenly Laura can't imagine proceeding with the party. From Katherine Mansfield, one of the most talented and pioneering masters of the short story in English, of whom Virginia Woolf once wrote: "I was jealous of her writing--the only writing I have ever been jealous of," "The Garden Party" is an exquisite paragon of the form. An ebook short.
This is a collection of short stories by the author that are marked by the contradictions and ambiguities of life.
Although Katherine Mansfield was closely associated with D.H. Lawrence and something of a rival of Virginia Woolf, her stories suggest someone writing in a different era and in a vastly different English. Her language is as transparent as clean glass, yet hovers on the edge of poetry. Her characters are passionate men and women swaddled in English reserve -- and sometimes briefly breaking through. And her genius is to pinpoint those unacknowledged and almost imperceptible moments in which those people's relationships -- with one another and themselves -- change forever. This collection includes such masterpieces as "Prelude," "At the Bay" "Bliss," "The Man Without a Temperament" and "The Garden Party" and has a new introduction by Jeffrey Meyers.From the Trade Paperback edition.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.