- Table View
- List View
Catastrophic injuries. Immediate and total blindness. An innocent young life shattered at the hands of a drunk driver. This is an unforgettable account of turning tragedy into triumph. With heart wrenching honesty, humor and insight, Marcus Engel guides us on a path to self-discovery. This coming-of-age story will cause you to view obstacles as opportunities and discover that choices, not circumstances, determine ultimate happiness. "All medical personnel who read this book will experience a transformation in their understanding and approach to the severely injured patient. Engel so vividly describes the steps in his recovery, I was moved to tears." Paul H.Ward M.D. F.A.C.S. Professor of Surgery Emeritus Chief of Head and Neck Surgery Emeritus UCLA School of Medicine "Engel's perseverance and determination offer an inspiring illustration of the human spirit. Marcus' story will provide immeasurable benefit to every student and parent." Steve Hirst Director of Greek Life Wake Forest University
The book is a personal narrative from the patient's perspective. Filled with practical advice, packed with humor and overflowing with appreciation, Marcus Engel encourages health care professionals to practice compassionate communication in all its forms.
Work overload Constantly changing policies Increasing bureaucratic regulations These are just a few of the challenges health care providers face everyday; Challenges that limit the ability to provide excellent patient care. After being blinded and suffering catastrophic injuries at the hands of a drunk driver, Marcus Engel witnessed health care from the other end of the stethoscope. Through 300 hours of reconstructive facial surgery, and years of hospitalization, rehab and recovery, Marcus witnessed first hand, the good, the bad and the ugly of patient care. Marcus' insights will give health care providers new and essential strategies to rediscover the magic and compassion between caregiver and patient. "With over 20 years of experience in medical education, I wish I had this book to share with every resident I taught. Marcus has cut right to the chase, and provides a perspective on medical care that every physician, nurse, and allied health professional should hear." David Campbell, MD, MEd President/CEO Institute for Family Medicine "Marcus' book is a powerful reminder of why we do what we do, and how the tools of communication, compassion and caring make all the difference." Terri Seidel, RN Director of Operations St. Louis and Southern Illinois region Healthsouth Surgery Centers.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.