Catastrophic injuries. Immediate and total blindness. An innocent young life shattered at the hands of a drunk driver. This is an unforgettable account of turning tragedy into triumph. With heart wrenching honesty, humor and insight, Marcus Engel guides us on a path to self-discovery. This coming-of-age story will cause you to view obstacles as opportunities and discover that choices, not circumstances, determine ultimate happiness. "All medical personnel who read this book will experience a transformation in their understanding and approach to the severely injured patient. Engel so vividly describes the steps in his recovery, I was moved to tears." Paul H.Ward M.D. F.A.C.S. Professor of Surgery Emeritus Chief of Head and Neck Surgery Emeritus UCLA School of Medicine "Engel's perseverance and determination offer an inspiring illustration of the human spirit. Marcus' story will provide immeasurable benefit to every student and parent." Steve Hirst Director of Greek Life Wake Forest University
The book is a personal narrative from the patient's perspective. Filled with practical advice, packed with humor and overflowing with appreciation, Marcus Engel encourages health care professionals to practice compassionate communication in all its forms.
Work overload Constantly changing policies Increasing bureaucratic regulations These are just a few of the challenges health care providers face everyday; Challenges that limit the ability to provide excellent patient care. After being blinded and suffering catastrophic injuries at the hands of a drunk driver, Marcus Engel witnessed health care from the other end of the stethoscope. Through 300 hours of reconstructive facial surgery, and years of hospitalization, rehab and recovery, Marcus witnessed first hand, the good, the bad and the ugly of patient care. Marcus' insights will give health care providers new and essential strategies to rediscover the magic and compassion between caregiver and patient. "With over 20 years of experience in medical education, I wish I had this book to share with every resident I taught. Marcus has cut right to the chase, and provides a perspective on medical care that every physician, nurse, and allied health professional should hear." David Campbell, MD, MEd President/CEO Institute for Family Medicine "Marcus' book is a powerful reminder of why we do what we do, and how the tools of communication, compassion and caring make all the difference." Terri Seidel, RN Director of Operations St. Louis and Southern Illinois region Healthsouth Surgery Centers.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.