"Something's Alive In There!"She was just a little girl, with a tiny horn in the center of her forehead, funny-looking feet, beautiful silver hair, and several curious powers: the ability to purify air and water, make plants grow, and heal scars and broken bones. A trio of grizzled prospectors found her drifting in an escape pod amid the asteroids, adopted her, and took her to the bandit planet Kezdet, a place where no questions are asked and the girl might grow up free. But Kezdet has its own dark secret. The prosperity of the planet is based on a hideous trade in child slave labor, administered by "The Piper" -- a mystery man with special plans for Acorna and her powers. But free little girls have a way of growing into freedom-loving young women, and Acorna has special plans all her own. . .
In this sf adventure, it seems right for the thief to replace the diplomat when she looks enough like her. However, what about the task the diplomat is off to perform?
Music can bridge the Worlds... (This is not necessarily a good thing...) Long ago, in an English country mansion next to a deep, dark wood, Wicket Kit Arundel devised a masque, a musical "entertainment" to be performed on the eve of Midsummer's Night 1594. It was supposed to be a quest for the perfect music, a mystic bridge to ultimate knowledge. What actually crossed the bridge was the Queen of Faerie. Entranced by his music, she has taken him away, leaving Kit's true love Eleanor bereft and mad with grief. In 1994 lives one Ellen Ainsley, a master programmer, erstwhile musician, and a very confused woman. After collapsing in the middle of an important recital, Ellen has given up singing the music of the 16th century, given up music altogether - it makes her dizzy, makes her lose contact with the real world, makes her feel like a different person... Then one day she is approached by a strangely beautiful young man who, almost against her will, persuades her to fly to England and there perform a masque composed by the infamous "Wicked Kit." Every four hundred years the spheres of Earth and Faerie join together - and once again the Queen of Faerie is about to rob Eleanor of all that gives life meaning.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.