This anthology introduces students to how race, class, and gender shape the experiences of diverse groups in the U.S. Introductory essays for each of the four sections stress the interconnectedness of these various types of difference. Each section concludes with some suggestions for further reading. The sixth edition contains 19 new readings dealing with such issues as affirmative action, immigration, and military rank.
This book uses the theme of debunking myths to look behind the facades of everyday life, encourage you to question common assumptions, and help you better understand how society is constructed and sustained.
Strongly rooted in research, the 70 papers in this supplemental textbook explore different sociological perspectives on culture, deviance and crime, global stratification, race, gender, family, religion, education, work, health care, population, and urbanization.
UNDERSTANDING SOCIETY: AN INTRODUCTORY READER, Fifth Edition, contains a collection of classic and contemporary sociological readings selected for their timeliness, diversity, and interest, and accessibility. The book includes the most up-to-date selection available-38 of the 68 articles are new in this edition. The intriguing new articles were selected to engage readers' interest, to reflect the richness of sociological thought, and to address issues that have emerged in recent years (such as football concussion injuries, climate change, the Tea Party movement, same-sex marriage, and the criminalization of undocumented immigrants, to name a few). As always, the editors have included the top names in the field. Five themes run throughout the book: classical sociological theory, contemporary research, diversity, globalization, and the application of the sociological perspective.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.