- Table View
- List View
"Something's Alive In There!"She was just a little girl, with a tiny horn in the center of her forehead, funny-looking feet, beautiful silver hair, and several curious powers: the ability to purify air and water, make plants grow, and heal scars and broken bones. A trio of grizzled prospectors found her drifting in an escape pod amid the asteroids, adopted her, and took her to the bandit planet Kezdet, a place where no questions are asked and the girl might grow up free. But Kezdet has its own dark secret. The prosperity of the planet is based on a hideous trade in child slave labor, administered by "The Piper" -- a mystery man with special plans for Acorna and her powers. But free little girls have a way of growing into freedom-loving young women, and Acorna has special plans all her own. . .
In this sf adventure, it seems right for the thief to replace the diplomat when she looks enough like her. However, what about the task the diplomat is off to perform?
Music can bridge the Worlds... (This is not necessarily a good thing...) Long ago, in an English country mansion next to a deep, dark wood, Wicket Kit Arundel devised a masque, a musical "entertainment" to be performed on the eve of Midsummer's Night 1594. It was supposed to be a quest for the perfect music, a mystic bridge to ultimate knowledge. What actually crossed the bridge was the Queen of Faerie. Entranced by his music, she has taken him away, leaving Kit's true love Eleanor bereft and mad with grief. In 1994 lives one Ellen Ainsley, a master programmer, erstwhile musician, and a very confused woman. After collapsing in the middle of an important recital, Ellen has given up singing the music of the 16th century, given up music altogether - it makes her dizzy, makes her lose contact with the real world, makes her feel like a different person... Then one day she is approached by a strangely beautiful young man who, almost against her will, persuades her to fly to England and there perform a masque composed by the infamous "Wicked Kit." Every four hundred years the spheres of Earth and Faerie join together - and once again the Queen of Faerie is about to rob Eleanor of all that gives life meaning.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.