- Table View
- List View
Gabrielle Ivory was once a society beauty of such exquisite arrogance that she stared down a queen. But now, nearing 90, she's largely disregarded by the younger members of the Ivory clan, who like to imagine Granny as a bedridden relic of a dead era. That's a mistake, and it's not their only one. A series of malicious attacks is threatening the family business - one of the most prestigious art galleries in the world. Robert Ivory and his high-strung wife, frantic to preserve the status-quo, want to chalk it all up to practical jokes gone wrong. But Gabrielle is not inclined to collude in this delusion. It's a ridiculous modern affectation, she sniffs, to pretend to disregard money.
3 mysteries featuring Albert Campion: Death of a Ghost, Flowers for the Judge, and Dancers in Mourning
John Sebastian Lafcadio, R.A., 'probably the greatest painter since Rembrandt' (according to himself), is dead. But his influence is not. He wanted lasting fame and he left instructions to his wife, Belle, for one painting to be exhibited every year after his death. Eight years later, in Little Venice, a select group of friends and family gather to view the eighth painting. They are treated instead to a murder. The lights go down, and a young man is stabbed to death. Albert Campion is one of the guests, and in his deceptively calm way he gets to work on the baffling case, with its long - suspiciously long - line-up of possible killers. Soon Campion finds himself having to face his dearest enemy.
Some objects just cry out to be stolen, and an obliging ring of international thieves stands ready to heed the cry. Their current target is the Gyrth Chalice, a priceless goblet that the Gyrth family has for centuries held in trust for the British Crown. Kept in a windowless chapel, and protected by a fearsome curse, the Chalice should be impervious to thievery. But this is 1930, and the crooks have all the advantages of the modern world. Chief among these is the craving for publicity, to which at least one member of the Gyrth clan has succumbed. Her careless chatter about the Chalice seems to have called up all manner of misfortunes - of which larceny is just the beginning -- and the vague, bespectacled Albert Campion doesn't look like he'll be much help against them. But looks can be deceptive. Wonderfully plotted . . . a marvelous mixture of witchcraft, sacred relics, and ancient oaths. Allingham was a rare and precious talent - Washington Post
Mr. Campion, the master sleuth, is menaced by a baker's dozen of evil-doers in 13 beguiling short mysteries.
Matthew Matthews, archaeologist, died of a heart attack. Francis Makepeace, geologist, vanishes. Many problems - not least for Mr Campion. For Makepeace is a maverick with a secret. The results are murder, kidnapping and the doghouse for his loyal friends.
A master criminal is attempting to kill Judge Lobbett, who holds the secret of his identity. Albert Campion takes on the job of guarding the judge and outwitting the elusive Simister.
Two swift-moving mysteries: The Patient at Peacocks Hall,and Safer Than Love.
An Albert campion mystery; false identity, blackmail, buried treasure, good versus evil.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.