- Table View
- List View
"You must stop crying!" Laura's father says. "Do you want Mama to hear?" Since Mama came home from the hospital, everything has changed. Mama is so sad and quiet now. And she just doesn't understand Amy and Laura's problems any more. The girls do not dare to tell her, even when they are in serious trouble. Laura has never felt so confused -- and lonely! Then she makes a surprising discovery about Mama --and about herself too...
Amy and her family move into a new neighborhood. Amy has many adventures, both good and bad, and makes new friends.
Fifteen-year-old Penny enjoys living in the shadow of her idolized older sister, who is quirky, self-centered, impossible, and loved by everyone. Penny has a real struggle trying to find her niche in life. She hates school, feels she has no friends, and is only interested in sewing. Then her older sister goes away to school, and Penny starts to change.
The wisdom of peace and the absurdity of fighting are demonstrated in seventeen stories and poems by outstanding authors of today such as Jean Fritz, Milton Meltzer, and Nancy Willard.
When shy, plump Lolly Scheiner arrives in kindergarten, she is the "new girl everyone hates," and only popular Pat Maddox jumps to her defense. From then on they're best friends through thick and thin, supporting each other during crises until everything changes in eighth grade, when Lolly suddenly turns into a thin pretty blonde and Pat, an introspective science whiz, finds herself playing second fiddle for the first time.
Jeff Lyons is both repelled and fascinated by Ellen de Luca, the fat girl in his ceramics class. The "crumbs of kindness" he tosses her way soon turn into advice on weight loss, college, clothes ... until good-looking Jeff dumps his girlfriend to be with the fat girl! As Ellen changes, Jeff resents the happy, independent young woman he has unleashed.
"Hello! Is this Jim?" "Yes?" "Jim, this is Angie." "Who?" "Angie Rogers. Betty Lyon's friend. I met you at her party Saturday night." "I don't-" "Listen! I know you were sore because I... I got upset when we were dancing. I just wanted to say I was wrong. I'm sorry." "But I'm not him." "What do you mean? Isn't this Jim?" "Yes, I'm Jim. But not the Jim you want." "Isn't this Jim McCone?" "No." When Angie Rogers called up Jim McCone, she had dialed a wrong number. But that mistake introduced her to someone she was really able to talk to. The question was, what was Jim really like-in person? Would Angie like him- and would Jim like her? Jim's blond with blue eyes and is six feet tall.... He told Angie so himself. Angie's five feet tall, thin, and also has blonde hair and blue eyes .... That's how she described herself to Jim. But Jim and Angie have never actually seen each other. They've only spoken on the phone. Could there be more here than meets the eye - or the ear?
This book is about a Jewish girl who lost her family with the invasion of Germans in her native country France.
Molly resists facing the past. She longs to see her sister Beth after their separation. When Beth arrives with her adoptive mother, she is awfully rude to Aunt Karen, Molly's guardian. The basis for Beth's anger is not clear but family secrets emerge during a dinner party.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.