- Table View
- List View
Read these clever poems from top to bottom and they mean one thing. Then reverse the lines and read from bottom to top and they mean something else;it is almost like magic! A celebration of sight, sound, and story, this book is a marvel to read again and again.
This provocative collection of poems ranges from such lofty subjects as an astronaut's view of Earth to the burrows of worms and little creatures within the earth, "where I try to tread softly: a quiet giant leaving only footprints on the roof. " Marilyn Singer's lilting free verse offers visual images that give us fresh new insights and respect for the mighty power of volcanoes, fens, islands, deserts, dunes, and natural disasters. Singer's easily accessible poems also include some of the lighter moments of childhood, such as sliding on ice and playing in mud. Meilo So's distinctive india ink drawings on rice paper provide an especially handsome showcase for these buoyant nature poems. From the Hardcover edition.
Do we need cosmetic surgery, dental implants, and a new wardrobe to improve our lives? Or can transformation happen in other ways? What kind of a makeover has the power to change a person, inside and out? These stories, specially written for this collection, delve into our culture's fascination with beauty and present different views about all kinds of makeovers. Sometimes funny, sometimes serious, and always thoughtprovoking, this anthology will open eyes and minds. Authors include Joseph Bruchac, Marina Budhos, Evelyn Coleman, Peni R. Griffin, Margaret Peterson Haddix, Norma Howe, Jess Mowry, René Saldaña, Jr. , Marilyn Singer, Joyce Sweeney, and Terry Trueman.
Isn't this a fairy tale? A fairy tale this isn't . . . There are two sides to every story, from the princess and the frog, to the beauty and the beast, to Sleeping Beauty and that charming prince. Now, in a unique collection of reversible verse, classic fairy tales are turned on their heads. Literally. Read these clever poems from top to bottom. Then reverse the lines and read from bottom to top to give these well-loved stories a delicious new spin. Witty, irreverent, and exquisitely illustrated, this unique collection holds a cheeky mirror up to language and fairy tales, and renews the magic of both.
Seventeen-year-old Storm, lonely, lost, and going nowhere, is drawn to a gentle older woman who possesses unusual powers, and as love develops between them, Storm experiences the beginnings of confidence, suffering, and a promise of a new start to his life.
Do animals celebrate Valentine's Day? Nobody knows for sure. But this funny (and punny) little book imagines how some of them declare their love, affection, or friendship any day of the year."Nice to Meetcha! You smell delish!/Wanna share my water dish?" So asks one tail-thumping dog to another. Whereas a courting dolphin sings, "Come, leap with me and be my wife./You're the porpoise of my life." Ranging from dogs and cats and other pets to some you wouldn't want to pet, such as sharks and porcupines, acclaimed poet Marilyn Singer's captivating couplets and Lee Wildish's expressively humorous illustrations provide a Valentine's Day gift for kids who wouldn't be caught dead being lovey-dovey.From the Hardcover edition.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.