- Table View
- List View
This comprehensive text offers a stimulating introduction to the political systems of post-World War II Europe. The Sixth Edition uses a region-by-region approach, focusing in turn on Great Britain, France, Italy, Germany, Russia, Eastern Europe, and the European Union. Four themes unify the text and illustrate the concept of politics in transition within each region on a global level: economic management; the relationships between countries; the challenges of democracy; and the political impact of social diversity. Standard, in-depth treatment of each region is organized around five topics: the making of the modern state; political economy and development; governance and policy-making; representation and participation; and politics in transition. Within these topical areas, highly relevant issues from politics today include the impact of Muslim immigrants on European society, Europe's socioeconomic malaise, global warming, the war on terror, and the continuing evolution of European-American relations since 9/11, among other pertinent matters.
Students appreciate a critical approach; The Politics of Power gives them something to think about and argue with, rather than just facts to memorize. The Seventh Edition applies this successful framework to examine recent political conflict over fiscal policy, electoral demographics, health care reform, and economic inequality, among other vital issues.
With a collection drawn from a variety of published, unpublished, and electronic sources, the book offers students a good sample of the wide range of popular and scholarly views relevant to the major topics presented in introductory comparative courses. The book contains seven Chapters, viz., Introduction, States and Regimes, Governing the Economy, the Democratic Challenge, Collective Identity, Political Institutions and Political Challenges and Changing Agendas.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.