Murder for political advantage, love and profit. Scotland can claim them all as part of its colorful history. In all fairness, Scotland probably boasts no more than any other country 's share of criminal killing as part of heritage, but the incongruous juxtaposition of deed so dastardly to a society so romantic and inviting make them stand out in sharp relief.
Stories by Bailey, Cleary, Estes, Field, Konigsburg, L'Engle, Lenski, Lofting, Paterson, Sawyer, Willard, and Yates.
This collection of original new stories by today's masters of science fiction and fantasy contains classic fairy tales gone "techno, " with such familiar favorites as "Sleeping Beauty, " "The Emperor's New Clothes, " and "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" given an outer-space spin. Authors include Thomas Wylde, Ronnie Seagren, Stanley Schmidt, Tanya Huff, and Bruce Holland Rogers.
Fear feeds on itself, growing in the darkness, squeezing your chest in a vise of breathless terror. Because a Predator lies in wait. This compelling new collection from the editors of the bestselling "Stalkers" tells of worlds where evil waits and watches...and kills. Each story will send chills up your spine, keep you burning the lights all night, and have you looking over your shoulder--just in case the Predator is there. So lock your doors, check your windows, and get ready to savor fiction that touches the primeval places...where all your screams are born. --Back cover.
A closer look at Tom Clancy and his works, including an exclusive interview.
What if the story of the Iran hostages had been merely an elaborate coverup for what really happened in Tehran? What if the Roman Empire had not fallen, and the first contact with extraterrestrials occurred in the time of the Caesars? What if, instead of a man's world, it was a woman's, and football was absolutely illegal? The past has drawn writers of speculative fiction as surely as the future. The temptation to twist a well- known tale--to dream of what might have been--is powerful, if not completely irresistible. And the results can be surprising, unsettling, completely mesmerizing, as this extraordinary 2-in-1 anthology proves. Suppose Albert Einstein had decided to give up physics in favor of a career as a violin teacher. Or Abe Lincoln had traveled into the future and discovered that the Civil War had had a very different outcome. Or two guys in a stolen 1950 Cadillac had stopped the invention of the hydrogen bomb--in one fiery crash. <P><P> These are just a few of the intriguing suppositions that fill the pages of What Might Have Been: 12 stories of Alternate Empires in Volume One... 14 tales of Alternate Heroes in Volume Two. Featuring the talents of such noted SF writers as Harry Harrison, Robert Silverberg, Judith Tarr, James Morrow, Gregory Benford, Poul Anderson and Frederik Pohl--to name only a few-- these bold excursions through time will transport you into bizarre new worlds, oddly familiar yet disturbingly different.
A collection of mystery and crime stories.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.