Effie's life is perfect now that she has two best friends, Nit and Aurora. Aurora's a super-athlete, and when she decides to leave St. Dom's for public school, where they have better sports, Effie panics. She's got to come up with a scheme to make Aurora want to come back to St. Dom's. Meanwhile, her mother's old college friend, Father Frank, the priest, has come to stay under mysterious circumstances. Effie's boss-a-holic sister Maxey starts acting like Saint Maxey. Effie's life doesn't seem so perfect anymore....
Camp Wickitawa, here we come! Mary Hershey's third book about fourth grader Effie Maloney is a hilarious Texas adventure, complete with a camp ghost, swim lessons, rescued armadillos, campfires, and cowgirl stew. Effie has been waiting forEVER for St. Dom's special fourth-grade camp. Could there be anything more thrilling than an entire week with her two best friends? But when her big sister Maxey (Bosszilla) ends up working there, Camp Oh-So-Perfect turns into Camp Calamity. And Effie has to figure out how to hide the fact that she's not, um, the greatest swimmer. She can't even float. But she better learn fast, because she just HAS to be named Outstanding Camper of the Week and win back her family's good name! (And she is N-O-T homesick. Completely andtotallynot even. ) From the Hardcover edition.
Something of great importance entrusted to fourth-grader Effi Maloney has disappeared and she's sure her big sister, Maxey, had something to do with it. Effi's no pushover, but trying to stand up to Maxey is like trying to stop an earthquake. It would be easier to deal with Maxey if Effi had a buddy. She hasn't had a best friend since Lola Jo moved, and she has so many secrets saved to tell a best friend--including the most amazing idea in the world for a winning science project--she's about to explode.Effi's got to win that science prize, find a best friend, and get back at Maxey--in just one week!From the Hardcover edition.
"Mom didn't think it was funny when I took off my leg at school, put it in my locker, and then tied a rag around my stump with fake blood on it. After that, though, the kids at school pretty much knew if anyone was going to be cracking jokes about my leg, it was gonna be me. " So says thirteen-year-old Alastair Hudson in this darkly humorous coming-of- age story about the relationship between Alastair-who calls himself Stump to draw shocked attention to his missing leg-and his father, who left the family after the accident that resulted in the amputation five years earlier. When Alastair is sent to spend the summer with his dad and his dad's new wife, father and son are forced to confront the truth of what happened years ago, finally allowing Alastair to move forward with his life.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.