- Table View
- List View
Just a century ago, cheese was still a relatively regional and European phenomenon, and cheese making techniques were limited by climate, geography, and equipment. But modern technology along with the recent artisanal renaissance has opened up the diverse, time-honored, and dynamic world of cheese to enthusiasts willing to take its humble fundamentals--milk, starters, coagulants, and salt--and transform them into complex edibles. Artisan Cheese Making at Home is the most ambitious and comprehensive guide to home cheese making, filled with easy-to-follow instructions for making mouthwatering cheese and dairy items. Renowned cooking instructor Mary Karlin has spent years working alongside the country's most passionate artisan cheese producers--cooking, creating, and learning the nuances of their trade. She presents her findings in this lavishly illustrated guide, which features more than eighty recipes for a diverse range of cheeses: from quick and satisfying Mascarpone and Queso Blanco to cultured products like Crème Fraîche and Yogurt to flavorful selections like Saffron-Infused Manchego, Irish-Style Cheddar, and Bloomy Blue Log Chèvre. Artisan Cheese Making at Home begins with a primer covering milks, starters, cultures, natural coagulants, and bacteria--everything the beginner needs to get started. The heart of the book is a master class in home cheese making: building basic skills with fresh cheeses like ricotta and working up to developing and aging complex mold-ripened cheeses. Also covered are techniques and equipment, including drying, pressing, and brining, as well as molds and ripening boxes. Last but not least, there is a full chapter on cooking with cheese that includes more than twenty globally-influenced recipes featuring the finished cheeses, such as Goat Cheese and Chive Fallen Soufflés with Herb-Citrus Vinaigrette and Blue Cheese, Bacon, and Pear Galette. Offering an approachable exploration of the alchemy of this extraordinary food, Artisan Cheese Making at Home proves that hand-crafting cheese is not only achievable, but also a fascinating and rewarding process.From the Hardcover edition.
A beautifully illustrated and authoritative guide to the art and science of fermented foods, featuring 70+ recipes that progress from simple fermented condiments like vinegars and mustards to more advanced techniques for using wild yeast, fermenting meats, and curing fish. Although fermentation has an ancient history, fermented foods are currently experiencing a renaissance: kombucha, kefir, sauerkraut, and other potent fermentables appeal not only for their health benefits, but also because they are fun, adventurous DIY projects for home cooks of every level. Mastering Fermentation is a beautifully illustrated and authoritative guide to the art and science of fermented foods, featuring more than seventy recipes that allow you to progress from simple fermented condiments like vinegars and mustards to more advanced techniques for using wild yeast starters, fermenting meats, and curing fish.Cooking instructor and author Mary Karlin begins with a solid introduction to the wide world of fermentation, explaining essential equipment, ingredients, processes, and techniques. The diverse chapters cover everything from fermented dairy to grains and breads; legumes, nuts, and aromatics; and fermented beverages. Last but not least, the book concludes with more than twenty globally-inspired recipes that incorporate fermented foods into enticing finished dishes like Grilled Lamb Stuffed with Apricot-Date Chutney and Saffron Yogurt Sauce. Offering an accessible, recipe-driven approach, Mastering Fermentation will inspire and equip you to facilitate the transformative, fascinating process of fermentation, with delicious results.
This contemporary collection of more than 100 recipes from chef-instructor Mary Karlin covers the range of wood-fired cooking options available to home cooks. From flame-licked Plank-Roasted Porterhouse or Grilled Naan to a hearth-baked Milanese Risotto, Leek, and Asparagus Tart or Warm Chocolate-Chipotle Cakes, Karlin's unassuming yet refined kitchen sensibility shines through in every dish. With a vast knowledge of terrific ingredients, the diverse flavor characteristics of hardwoods, and the best live-fire techniques and equipment now available, Karlin is a passionate advocate for this growing trend. Her globally inspired Indian, Italian, Mediterranean, American, and North African recipes for cooking over live flame and embers are paired with contributions from Peter Reinhart, Bruce Aidells, Deborah Madison, and other fired-up chefs. Whether you're a seasoned barbecue expert or you just bought your first bag of lump charcoal, WOOD-FIRED COOKING will have you stoking appetites in no time.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.