- Table View
- List View
Gilles de la Tourette's syndrome (or Tourettes syndrome) is an inherited neuropsychiatric disorder affecting five people inn every 10,000. It is characterized by multiple verbal and motor tic, which occur in bouts many times each day. These can be mild in some cases, but can reach a disabling extent in some sufferers, and can include some upsetting and anti-social behavior, such as involuntary swearing and obscene gestures in others. This book, written by a physiologist and a psychiatrist, who have been researching Tourette's syndrome for many years, explains the causes of the syndrome, how it is diagnosed, and the ways in which it can be treated. It includes a section providing clear answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about the disorder and another chapter devoted to coping strategies for close relatives of people diagnosed as having Tourette's syndrome.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.