- Table View
- List View
Although the digital revolution has made content available to more people than print books ever could, ebooks are still only as accessible as the foundation they're built on--and all too often the foundation is weak. But that's changing. With the introduction of EPUB 3, publishers now have the means to create a single rich data source for audiences of all reading abilities. Through practical tips and examples, Accessible EPUB 3 takes you inside the EPUB 3 format and explores how you can enrich and enhance content for all readers. Author Matt Garrish demystifies the process of making content easier to access, demonstrating how accessible practices are intertwined with standard content best practices. Among many techniques, this guide will teach you how to: Add structure and meaning to your publications to make them more usable by accessible technologies Tailor EPUB Navigation Documents for readers requiring either full or reduced navigation Create media overlays to synchronize human narration with text display Improve text-to-speech playback by adding SSML, PLS lexicons, and CSS3 Speech functionality Bookshare demo title.
Ready to take your ebooks to the next level with EPUB 3? This concise guide includes best practices and advice to help you navigate the format's wide range of technologies and functionality. EPUB 3 is set to turn electronic publishing on its head with rich multimedia reading experiences and scripted interactivity, but this specification can be daunting to learn. This book provides you with a solid foundation. Written by people involved in the development of this specification, EPUB 3 Best Practices includes chapters that cover unique aspects of the EPUB publishing process, such as technology, content creation, and distribution. Get a comprehensive survey of accessible production features Learn new global language-support features, including right-to-left page progressions Embed content with EPUB 3's new multimedia elements Make your content dynamic through scripting and interactive elements Work with publication and distribution metadata Create synchronized text and audio playback in reading systems Learn techniques for fixed and adaptive layouts
<p>What is EPUB 3 discusses the exciting new format that is set to unleash a content revolution in the publishing world. Laden with features the printed page could never offer--such as embedded multimedia and scripted interactivity--EPUB 3 will forever change what a book can be. This article walks you through the format and puts it in its place in the digital landscape, explaining why EPUB 3 is set to become the new global standard for ebooks as it also becomes the new accessible standard for ebooks.</p>
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.