- Table View
- List View
Although the digital revolution has made content available to more people than print books ever could, ebooks are still only as accessible as the foundation they're built on--and all too often the foundation is weak. But that's changing. With the introduction of EPUB 3, publishers now have the means to create a single rich data source for audiences of all reading abilities. Through practical tips and examples, Accessible EPUB 3 takes you inside the EPUB 3 format and explores how you can enrich and enhance content for all readers. Author Matt Garrish demystifies the process of making content easier to access, demonstrating how accessible practices are intertwined with standard content best practices. Among many techniques, this guide will teach you how to: Add structure and meaning to your publications to make them more usable by accessible technologies Tailor EPUB Navigation Documents for readers requiring either full or reduced navigation Create media overlays to synchronize human narration with text display Improve text-to-speech playback by adding SSML, PLS lexicons, and CSS3 Speech functionality
Ready to take your ebooks to the next level with EPUB 3? This concise guide includes best practices and advice to help you navigate the format's wide range of technologies and functionality. EPUB 3 is set to turn electronic publishing on its head with rich multimedia reading experiences and scripted interactivity, but this specification can be daunting to learn. This book provides you with a solid foundation. Written by people involved in the development of this specification, EPUB 3 Best Practices includes chapters that cover unique aspects of the EPUB publishing process, such as technology, content creation, and distribution. Get a comprehensive survey of accessible production features Learn new global language-support features, including right-to-left page progressions Embed content with EPUB 3's new multimedia elements Make your content dynamic through scripting and interactive elements Work with publication and distribution metadata Create synchronized text and audio playback in reading systems Learn techniques for fixed and adaptive layouts
<p>What is EPUB 3 discusses the exciting new format that is set to unleash a content revolution in the publishing world. Laden with features the printed page could never offer--such as embedded multimedia and scripted interactivity--EPUB 3 will forever change what a book can be. This article walks you through the format and puts it in its place in the digital landscape, explaining why EPUB 3 is set to become the new global standard for ebooks as it also becomes the new accessible standard for ebooks.</p>
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.