- Table View
- List View
For more than 30 years, Making Life More Livable has served as an indispensable resource for older adults with vision loss and their families, providing practical tips and easy adaptations and modifications for improving the safety and security of older adults in their homes. The revised and updated third edition includes information on current technology and independent living products, as well as an updated Resource Guide, in addition to general guidelines and room-by-room specifics. A brand new chapter describes basic skills for moving around safely inside the home and provides suggestions for preventing falls. The chapter on additional health conditions has also been expanded to include the specific ways each condition affects vision. The newest edition also has a fresh, vibrant look, with color photos illustrating simple and effective solutions for older adults to continue living independent, productive lives.
From the book: The newly revised and updated Making Life More Livable is the essential guide for adults experiencing vision loss and is an invaluable resource for their family and friends. Full of practical tips and illustrated by numerous photographs, this easy-to- use resource shows how people who are visually impaired can continue living independent, productive lives at home on their own. Useful general guidelines and room-by-room specifics provide simple and effective solutions for making homes accessible and everyday activities for individuals with visual impairments.
New Independence! Environmental Adaptations in Community Facilities for Adults with Vision Impairmentsby Maureen A. Duffy
Contents include: environmental changes and vision; evaluating the environment; modifying the environment; specific suggestions by area; useful resources, and a checklist for conducting environment evaluations. A book that can make a big difference!
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.