The food of Rome and its region, Lazio, is redolent of herbs, olive oil, ricotta, lamb, and pork. It is the food of ordinary, frugal people, yet it is a very modern cuisine in that it gives pride of place to the essential flavors of its ingredients. In this only English-language book to encompass the entire region, the award-winning author of Encyclopedia of Pasta, Oretta Zanini De Vita, offers a substantial and complex social history of Rome and Lazio through the story of its food. Including more than 250 authentic, easy-to-follow recipes, the author leads readers on an exhilarating journey from antiquity through the Middle Ages to the mid-twentieth century.
Winner of the 2014 International Association of Culinary Association (IACP) Award The indispensable cookbook for genuine Italian sauces and the traditional pasta shapes that go with them. Pasta is so universally popular in the United States that it can justifiably be called an American food. This book makes the case for keeping it Italian with recipes for sauces and soups as cooked in Italian homes today. There are authentic versions of such favorites as carbonara, bolognese, marinara, and Alfredo, as well as plenty of unusual but no less traditional sauces, based on roasts, ribs, rabbit, clams, eggplant, arugula, and mushrooms, to name but a few. Anyone who cooks or eats pasta needs this book. The straightforward recipes are easy enough for the inexperienced, but even professional chefs will grasp the elegance of their simplicity. Cooking pasta the Italian way means: Keep your eye on the pot, not the clock. Respect tradition, but don't be a slave to it. Choose a compatible pasta shape for your sauce or soup, but remember they aren't matched by computer. (And that angel hair goes with broth, not sauce.) Use the best ingredients you can find--and you can find plenty on the Internet. Resist the urge to embellish, add, or substitute. But minor variations usually enhance a dish. How much salt? Don't ask, taste! Serving and eating pasta the Italian way means: Use a spoon for soup, not for twirling spaghetti. Learn to twirl; never cut. Never add too much cheese, and often add none at all. Toss the cheese and pasta before adding the sauce. Warm the dishes.Serve pasta alone. The salad comes after. To be perfectly proper, use a plate, not a bowl. The authors are reluctant to compromise because they know how good well-made pasta can be. But they keep their sense of humor and are sympathetic to all well-intentioned readers.
This is intended to make accessible to people who do not know the ancient languages the kinds of materials ancient historians work with. It contains a selection of source documents, translated into English, that deal with the lives of women in Ancient Greece and Rome. These documents where originally written in Latin and Greek, and they were written primarily by men.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.