- Table View
- List View
In 1947, philosophers Horkheimer (1895-1973) and Adorno (1903-69) joined forces to explain why humanity, instead of entering a truly human state, is sinking into a new kind of barbarism. They attribute the relapse into mythology not so much to the nationalist, pagan, or other modern mythologies concocted specifically to cause such a relapse, but to a fear of truth that petrifies enlightenment itself. Edmund Jephcott translates the German text from volume five of Horkheimer's collected works. There is no index. Annotation c. Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
A thrilling example of philosophy in action, Towards a New Manifesto reveals the fathers of critical theory, Adorno and Horkheimer, in a uniquely spirited and free-flowing exchange of ideas.A record of their discussions over three weeks in the spring of 1956, recorded with a view to writing a contemporary version of The Communist Manifesto, this conversation ranges across its central themes--theory and practice, labor and leisure, domination and freedom--in a register found nowhere else in their work. Amid a careening flux of arguments, aphorisms and asides, in which the trenchant alternates with the reckless, positions are swapped and contradictions unheeded resulting in a thrilling example of philosophy in action and a compelling map of a possible passage to a new world.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.