- Table View
- List View
Describes the important role of freed slaves and other African-Americans in the settlement of the Western US.
Discusses historical events surrounding the Battle of the Alamo, including the roles played by Mexican General Santa Anna and Americans Stephen F. Austin, Jim Bowie, Davy Crockett, Sam Houston, and others.
Explores the relationship between the United States and Japan that led to the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, in 1941, and to the United States' entry into World War II.
Relates the events preceding, during, and after the battle for the tiny Japanese island of Iwo Jima, where American victory hastened the end of World War II.
Describes a pivotal battle during World War II on the Pacific island of Midway.
The island of Britain is separated from continental Europe by a stretch of sea known as the English Channel. As night closed over Britain on June 5,1944, the roar of airplane engines filled the air. From 190 airfields on the island, bombers, fighter planes, troop transport planes, and were taking off by the thousands to fly across the Channel. The first blow of the greatest invasion in the history of the world was about to be struck!
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.