This illustrated tour of the world's most extraordinary trees provides an insight into some of the natural world's most astonishing structures. Through 100 photographs, The Beauty of Trees tells the story of our relationship with trees throughout history.Each image is supported by information about the botany of the tree, along with the stories, traditions and legends associated with it. From the giant sequoias of California to the bonsai of Japan, the pink tulip tree of the Himalayas to the Scots pine--and even the humble acorn--award-standard photography and insightful text bring the majesty and mystery of the world's trees to life.
A look at the University of North Carolina's basketball program and Dean Smith.
A television journalist and specialist on the anthropology of religions, Jordan addressed his 1993 first edition to students and travelers, describing deities likely to be encountered in studying western civilization and visiting common Asian tourist sites. Here he accounts for a broadening of interest in cultures of the southern hemisphere and some of the less mainstream aspects of European history. For well known deities of past times, he includes such information as origin, known period of worship, centers of cult, art references, and literary sources. Cross-references are abundant, and he includes peripheral mentions (indented) in the index.
Michael Jordan is the rare global icon whose celebrity extends beyond his original stage and onto multiple platforms. His relentless determination produced six NBA Championships and some of the most spectacular performances in sports history, while his enduring grace and unique sense of style made him equally famous in the worlds of fashion, business and marketing. In Driven from Within, Michael makes it clear that the basis for his phenomenal success came from the inside out, thanks in part to those who guided him along the way. His skill, work ethic, philosophy, personal style, competitiveness and presence have flowed from the basketball court into every facet of his life. Nearly three years removed from his last turn as an athlete, Michael's twentieth Air Jordan shoe has helped push Nike's Brand Jordan division to almost $500 million in sales. "Nothing of value comes without being earned. That's why great leaders are those who lead by example first. You can't demand respect because of a title or a position and expect people to follow. That might work for a little while, but in the long run people respond to what they see." This is a book about the power of collaboration and teamwork, the awe-inspiring energy generated when people combine their creativity and passion and a fearless desire to lead. Whether waking at 6 a.m. to work on fundamentals as a high school junior, or spending hours with legendary designer Tinker Hatfield on the intricacies of state-of-the-art shoe design, Michael Jordan has never wavered in his desire to be the best. "It all started with an appetite to prove. Whether it was competing with my siblings or trying to get attention from my parents, I wanted to show what I could do, what I was capable of accomplishing. I wanted results, and I was driven to find out the best way to get them." Everyone knows the results. In Driven from Within, Michael Jordan and those in his inner circle reveal the philosophy that makes it all happen.
HBR Case Study
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.