- Table View
- List View
Admiral von Spee's German East Asia Cruiser Squadron of World War I stand out amidst the annals of 20th century surface naval warfare. Upon the outbreak of war in August 1914, the British Royal Navy was deployed globally, whilst aside from a small number of local vessels, the Imperial German Navy was concentrated in two areas - Home Waters (i.e. the North Sea and the Baltic) and Tsingtao in China, the home port of the crack East Asia Cruiser Squadron which, under the command of Admiral Reichsgraf von Spee contained some of Germany's most modern cruisers. As it was clear that Spee's relatively small force would be quickly overwhelmed by superior enemy numbers, the Admiralty in Berlin immediately ordered him to weigh anchor and return to Germany, a mission that many were to describe as a Himmelfahrtskommando or suicide mission. Whether Spee made it or not, the main consideration was that he would tie down a large number of enemy warships and thus prevent their deployment in other areas. This Raid title details all aspects of the exciting mission.From the Trade Paperback edition.
Ramillies 1706 details one of the most important clashes in the War of the Spanish Succession, a battle that secure the Duke of Marlborough's place in history and helped determine the future of Europe.In 1706, as the War of Spanish Succession dragged on, France's Louis XIV was eager for peace, but he wanted it on his terms. Therefore, rather than standing on the defensive, French armies on all fronts swung over to the offensive. Marlborough decided to counter by launching a pre-emptive strike. The two sides met at Ramillies on May 23rd.Enjoying an almost parity in numbers the French took up position along a river line, anchoring each of their flanks on a marshy area, thereby surrendering the initiative to Marlborough, who proceeded to probe against both flanks. Using a series of deceptions and feints, Marlborough took advantage of a concealed re-entrant to reinforce his center which, at that time, was cannonading the French positions. Unaware of this, the French general Villeroi drastically weakened his center in order to reinforce the threatened sector. Seizing the opportunity, Marlborough launched an overwhelming attack on his own terms. In the wake of two massive cavalry mêlées, during one of which Marlborough was unhorsed and almost killed, the allied troops shattered the French, inflicting over 20,000 casualties--almost one third of the Franco-Hispano-Bavarian army--at a cost of less than 4,000 men, thus paving the way for allied forces to overturn the French position in Flanders, and in the process capturing several strategically important towns and cities including Brussels, Bruges, Louvain and Antwerp. In short, whilst Blenheim in 1704 had been a masterpiece of strategic maneuver that had wrong footed the Franco-Bavarian armies and removed the threat to Vienna, it was Marlborough's tactical intuition on the field of Ramillies that had led to perhaps his finest battlefield performance and paved the way for a campaign that would see much of Flanders come under Allied control.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.