- Table View
- List View
Meet Kate Bender, who brutally murdered as many as thirty people in Kansas, including children, and buried them in her family's orchard; Laura Bullion, the only woman to participate in a Wild Bunch train robbery; and Madam Vestal, a one-time Confederate spy who organized the famous Deadwood stagecoach robberies. Witness the execution of Elizabeth Potts and Ellen Watson, the first women hanged in Nevada and Wyoming.Drawing on fact and folklore, author and historian Michael Rutter brings 21 gun-slinging "bad girls" to life, and explores their motives, hopes, and dreams. He dispels many of the myths about these female outlaws, for sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction.Featuring forty-two historical images, Bedside Book of Bad Girls sheds light on figures and events often shrouded in fabrication and fantasy. Meet these fascinating characters, complete with their pistols and petticoats, their knives and knaves, their vices and victims.
Much has been written about the outlaws of the American West, from Jesse James to Butch Cassidy. But what about the western woman who chose to pick up a Colt and take on the law?
Bringing together foremost experts, this book reviews groundbreaking gene-environment research and explores implications for clinical practice, prevention, and public policy. Presented is cutting-edge work on the interplay of genetic factors and childhood experiences in the development of mental disorders such as depression, conduct disorder, and schizophrenia. Essential topics include what scientists currently know about "susceptibility genes"; the mechanisms by which maltreatment and other stressors interact with biological susceptibilities across development; and factors that make certain children more resilient than others. Future directions for personalizing treatment and prevention efforts, thus making them more effective, are discussed.
In this major new book, eminent scientist Professor Sir Michael Rutter gets behind the hype of the behavioral genetics debate to provide a balanced and authoritative overview of the genetic revolution and its implications for understanding human behavior. Written by one of the world's leading figures in child psychology and psychiatry, Professor Sir Michael Rutter Provides non-technical explanation of genetics to diffuse the sensational debates surrounding the topic Sets out in layman's terms what genes do, how much is nature and how much is nurture Argues that nature and nurture are not truly separate and gives examples of how the two interact Looks at the implications of genetic findings for policy and practice The book will inform public debate about the implications of the Human Genome Project and, more broadly, the field of genetic science.
Voice typing is transforming the way people work, write, and enter data. With Voice X Press for the Office Professional, your students can learn the most effective way to use this new software and be able to apply it to the various office applications. This book takes students step-by-step through the speech learning process, providing tips and advice along the way.
This book contains step-by-step activities that help users master the techniques and extra reinforcement activities that provide enrichment opportunities. Appendices on using the software with Word and WordPerfect are included. Natural language commands are emphasized throughout the text.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.