- Table View
- List View
A gripping adrenaline rush of a story about growing up on the street, Michael David Baptiste's first novel unfolds like an epic saga of crime and punishment. Presided over by a main character named Michael Banner, known on the streets as Spits, Cracked Dreams takes readers onto the down and dirty streets of the Bronx and into the lives of a drug gang called the Time Bombs. The Time Bombs fear that their territory is being threatened by a rival gang trying to muscle into their trade, so they devise a plan to eliminate the competition. Soon they're consumed by the desire to make their mark beyond the borders of their hometown. Their cash-fueled dreams carry them far from their poberty-plagued roots, where their lives escalate into horrifying violence. Cracked Dreams introduces an unorgettable cast of snitches, gangstas, dealers, thugs, pimps, prostitutes, hustlers, and ex-cons who learn the hard way that when the street calls, you'd better answer. Shadowing their every move are the FBI agents sworn to put an end to the gang's reign of terror thats transforming average street corners into bloody battlegrounds. Careening from the drug-fueled avenues of the Bronx to Florida and California, Cracked Dreams tells a haunting tale of sin and redemption. Filled with graphic imagery and tragic overtones, this is an electrifying debut by a supremely gifted up-an-comer.
With a frightening sense of realism and authenticity -- the story of a cold-blooded killer and his life-changing relationship with his godchild. Boom, a product of violent street influences has become one of the most feared men in North Philadelphia. He is known for his brutality and the victims he leaves behind. When Booms closest friend, Ivan is gunned down and murdered, Boom takes the law into his own hands. Even after he finds the revenge he seeks, Boom still can't conceal his devastation. He's concerned about Shonda, Ivan's widow, and Sabra, Ivan's daughter and Boom's godchild. Caught up in the game of the streets and not accustomed to having feelings other than rage, Boom's once impenetrable tough exterior is slowly cracking and revealing his utter vulnerability With chilling prose, Michael Baptiste creates a riveting novel that reveals the brutal world of inner city street life. Godchild dissects the cyclical world of violence and revenge and one man's attempts to protect a child and make sure she will never suffer the same fate -- even if it kills him.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.