- Table View
- List View
From the book jacket: Archangel is set in an alternate universe Minneapolis, in the late 1920s, after a decade of devastating plague. Hun, a blood disease that appeared during World War I, ended the war and is killing more people every year. Like other great cities, Minneapolis is a shadow of its former self, isolated by the breakdown of civilization. Whites are dying while blacks are immune and trying to forge a new social compact in a radically changed society. And a mysterious woman calling herself "the Archangel" broadcasts the music of the jazz age-and the real, uncensored news-from a pirate radio station. Danny Constantine, a young newspaperman, discovers a weird series of murders that look like the work of a vampire. But in a world of bad news, even his own paper doesn't care to print his discovery. Danny has been alone in the world since his wife died of Hun, and his investigation becomes his personal crusade, involving him with an embittered black police officer, a doctor seeking a cure for the disease, and the social forces contending for power in the crumbling city- and finally, with the Archangel. Michael Conner has been building a reputation as one of the most talented younger writers in science fiction. His recent story, "Guide Dog," won the 1993 Nebula Award. Now Conner has written Archangel, his most powerful and intriguing work yet.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.