- Table View
- List View
From the book jacket: Archangel is set in an alternate universe Minneapolis, in the late 1920s, after a decade of devastating plague. Hun, a blood disease that appeared during World War I, ended the war and is killing more people every year. Like other great cities, Minneapolis is a shadow of its former self, isolated by the breakdown of civilization. Whites are dying while blacks are immune and trying to forge a new social compact in a radically changed society. And a mysterious woman calling herself "the Archangel" broadcasts the music of the jazz age-and the real, uncensored news-from a pirate radio station. Danny Constantine, a young newspaperman, discovers a weird series of murders that look like the work of a vampire. But in a world of bad news, even his own paper doesn't care to print his discovery. Danny has been alone in the world since his wife died of Hun, and his investigation becomes his personal crusade, involving him with an embittered black police officer, a doctor seeking a cure for the disease, and the social forces contending for power in the crumbling city- and finally, with the Archangel. Michael Conner has been building a reputation as one of the most talented younger writers in science fiction. His recent story, "Guide Dog," won the 1993 Nebula Award. Now Conner has written Archangel, his most powerful and intriguing work yet.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.