From the Book jacket: What's better than Dial-A-Joke? File-A-Joke. This is the book you've been looking for. The one that takes the worry out of wisecracks, the book that proves there is such a thing as easy humor (providing somebody else does the work!) This book does all the work. Now all you have to do is leaf through and enjoy. Or, better yet, pick a victim and look him up in the index. Your unsuspecting mailman, for instance: "Say, Charlie, why is this letter wet?" (Your postman gives a puzzled look.) "Must be postage dew." (Then duck, quickly.) And there's no need to stop there. Is your postman rather hefty? Then just flip to the back of the book and look under "Fat People" (no beating around the bush with this book). You'll find high-level intelligence quotients under "Smartness," conceit under "Stuck Up," and unmarried ladies under "Old Maids." Want a crazy excuse for being late for work? Try #3212. Or for never having learned to spell? #4923. And #4378 is great to try on ex-cons and football lovers. If you want to impress a literary snob who asks you if you know Shakespeare, quote #4595 and say, "Sure, I read his stuff as soon as it comes out." Search these pages to find out why Ireland is the richest country in the world (#5480), how we know Washington had a great memory (#4007), and who went two thousand miles on a galleon [sic] (#5025). In its unusual Introduction, 5600 Jokes for All Occasions supplies us with a valuable guide to making the most of the material. The Introduction gives hints on How to Select Material, Write and Tell Jokes, Adapt Jokes, and Write Sketches and Continuities. The humorous situations are broadly classified into Individuals and Institutions, and these are neatly subdivided so that every subject is related to the subjects before and after it. The most comprehensive collection of humor on the market today, 5600 Jokes is a laugh-makers dream.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.