[from the back cover] "It's Valentine's Day in First Grade. All the children send cards to each other. Everyone is excited. Some people get lots of cards--but some people don't. And there are tears. But Jim knows how to make George feel better--and all the others join in. By the time the refreshments arrive, it is indeed a Happy Valentine's Day for everyone in First Grade."
A Daughter of Two Mothers is the incredible, true account of a handicapped widow's forced separation from her infant daughter, the years of longing and searching, the legal battle, and the subsequent destruction brought by the Nazis. Open this book and you will step into the world of a generation gone, of pre- and post-war Hungarian Jewry, as young Leichu moves between two communities and their divergent lifestyles. This is a gripping story of separation and reunion, of pure faith and acceptance of God's will, and of triumph over despair.
From the book: It was almost Thanksgiving. First Grade drew pictures of the Pilgrims, Anna Maria wrote a play and told everyone what to do. Their teacher showed First Grade how to make a giant turkey, and Anna Maria got to wear The turkey costume first. But Jim knew that Thanksgiving is for everyone, and even Anna Maria had to agree that Louie made a fine turkey. A favorite First Grade celebrates a favorite holiday in a Thanksgiving book that spans the seasons. This book contains picture descriptions. This file should make an excellent embossed braille copy.
Jacob worries a lot. If only he knew how much his friends from second grade really like him... He thinks they think he's too short, too uninteresting, and just too strange because he likes beavers and has never gone on a fishing trip. He worries that no one will show up for his birthday party. When his entire class shows up to celebrate with Jacob, he finally understands just how wonderful and unique they really think he is.
The team is mad at Jacob. Jacob thinks it's all Honey's fault that he's missed the ball. In his anger he says something mean to Honey. When he sees how he's hurt her feelings, Jacob has to decide what to do.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.