A WOMAN'S BATTLE WITH THE BILLION-DOLLAR BABY BUSINESSCracked Open is Miriam Zoll's eye-opening account of growing into womanhood with the simultaneous opportunities and freedoms afforded by the U.S. women's movement and new discoveries in reproductive technologies. Influenced by the pervasive media and cultural messages suggesting that science had eclipsed Mother Nature, Zoll--like millions of women around the world--postpones marriage and motherhood. She embarks on an exciting career, travels the globe, and eventually marries in her mid-30s. By 40, she has finally overcome her fears of being an unfit mother and is ready to embrace motherhood but nature does not cooperate.In accordance with the times, she and her husband sign up for fertility treatments but neither one is prepared for the science-fiction world they have entered; a world full of medical seduction, capitalist conception and bioethical quagmires. Desperate to conceive, they turn into fertility junkies drawn into the cold, sterile world of the laboratory, where they increasingly find themselves disconnected from nature, their values, and each other. Eventually, they realize that the unregulated multi-billion-dollar U.S. fertility industry has promised her and millions of other couples far more than it can deliver.
Cracked Open is Miriam Zoll's eye-opening account of growing into womanhood with the simultaneous opportunities offered by the U. S. women's movement and new discoveries in reproductive technologies. Influenced by the pervasive media and cultural messages suggesting that science had finally eclipsed Mother Nature, Zoll postponed motherhood until the age of 40. When things didn't progress as she had hoped, she enters a world of medical seduction and bioethical quagmires. Desperate to conceive, she surrenders to unproven treatments and procedures only to learn that the odds of becoming a mother through reproductive technologies are far less than she and her generation had been led to believe.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.