- Table View
- List View
The acclaimed book on macular degeneration--now completely revised and updated with cutting edge research and the latest developments in the field.More than fifteen million Americans have age-related macular degeneration (AMD), and the disease will strike 200,000 more people this year. It is the most prevalent cause of vision loss in the western world. Dr. Lylas Mogk, the founding director of the Visual Rehabilitation and Research Center of the Henry Ford Health System, has a unique professional and personal understanding of AMD. A doctor and loving daughter of a parent with this frightening though manageable condition, Mogk here explains exactly what it is and how to limit its effect on your life. Reassuring and comprehensive--complete with illuminating first person stories of people with AMD--Macular Degeneration will help you or someone you love with information on* Reducing your risk factors* Revolutionary new technology, including laser surgery and alternative treatments* New research discoveries in nutrition--and eye-healthy recipes* The latest low-vision computer software programs* Coping with depression and frustration* Active online communities of people with macular degeneration Plus a Low Vision Living Rehab program to help you read better, see better, and live independently!From the Trade Paperback edition.
Dr. Lylas Mogk has a unique personal and professional understanding of AMD. This book explains how to successfully manage and limit its effect on a person's life.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.