This report reviews and assesses recent developments in the mature and emerging markets and continues the analysis of key structural changes in global financial markets that has been presented in previous reports. The survey generally covers the 12-month period ending in June 2000. Over this period global financial conditions in the main improved in tandem with the strong rebound of the global economy. Credit concerns have eased following the most severe market turbulence in the post war period and global investors became more willing to engage in risk taking. The continued rapid growth of US productivity - largely related to the 'new economy' - helped sustain the low inflation expansion in the United States, and spurred US and worldwide investment. Chapters in the report focus on emerging market financing; private sector involvement in crisis prevention and resolution; the role of foreign banks in emerging markets.
One positive side-effect of the recent financial market meltdown that toppled giant, century-old institutions and cost millions their jobs is that it created a strong desire among many Americans to better understand how the U.S. economy functions. In The Little Book of Economics, Greg, Ip, one of the country's most recognized and respected economics journalists, walks readers through how the economy really works.Written for the inquisitive layman who doesn't want to plow through academic jargon and Greek letters or pore over charts and tables, The Little Book of Economics offers indispensible insight into how the American economy works - or, doesn't. With engaging and accessible prose, the bookProvides a comprehensive understanding of each aspect of our economy from inflation and unemployment to international trade and financeServes as an insider's guide to the people and institutions that control America's economy such as the Federal Reserve and the federal budgetExplains the roots of America's current economic crisis and the risks the country faces in its aftermath, such as stratospheric government debt, while offering advice on overcoming these threatsWalks readers through the basic concepts and terminology they need to understand economic newsPunctures myths and political spin from both the left and the right with candid and often surprising insightA must read for anyone who wants a better grasp of the economy without taking a course in economics , The Little Book of Economics is a unique and engaging look at how the economy works in all its wonderful and treacherous ways.
This paper explores the reasons behind the recent transformation and upturn of the Mexican economy. the changes are the result of the authorities' determination to stick with a difficult reform program since the early 1980s, supported by multilateral financial institutions, creditor countries, and commercial banks.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.