- Table View
- List View
AMERICA, THE LAND OF OPPORTUNITY EVEN FOR A BLIND JOURNALIST FROM IRAN Throughout the world, millions of people believe if you are blind that this prevents you from traveling too far from home. Others, of course, may have these same beliefs but have just kept them to themselves. Thus begins Jalil Mortazavi's engaging and baffling experience as he tries to overcome such odd thinking. In his book, he tries to cover much of what he has learned in the hope that it will inspire, delight, and amuse his audience. Mortazavi is an Iranian-American journalist who lives in Brookline, Massachusetts. He works for the Persian-American Media Watch. He has also been associated with Persian Voice of Boston, 24-Hour Persian Radio based in California, and 24-Hour Persian TV [NI TV]. He has appeared on Imus in the Morning, and he has done some news commentary on National Public Radio's All Things Considered and on Talk of the Nation. In addition, Jalil enjoyed being a guest on a number of different television and radio talk shows WCV TV, American Radio Network in Baltimore, and radio stations WBZ, WHDH, WRKO, WROR, and WTTP. Mortazavi has also written for such publications as The Boston Globe, The Boston Herald, and The Brockton Enterprise.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.