- Table View
- List View
Despite recent advances in the diagnosis and treatment of symptomatic atherosclerosis, available traditional screening methods for early detection and treatment of asymptomatic coronary artery disease are grossly insufficient and fail to identify the majority of victims prior to the onset of a life-threatening event. In Asymptomatic Atherosclerosis: Pathophysiology, Detection and Treatment, Dr. Morteza Naghavi and leading authorities from the Society for Heart Attack Prevention and Eradication (SHAPE) present a new paradigm for the screening and primary prevention of asymptomatic atherosclerosis. The text focuses on accurate, yet underutilized, measures of subclinical atherosclerosis, notably coronary artery calcium scanning and carotid intima-media thickness measurement. The authors introduce a comprehensive approach to identifying the vulnerable patients (asymptomatic individuals at risk of a near future adverse event). Additional chapters discuss future directions towards containing the epidemic of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease using innovative solutions such as preemptive interventional therapies (bioabsorbable stents) for stabilization of vulnerable atherosclerotic plaques, mass unconditional Polypill therapy for population-based risk reduction, and ultimately vaccination strategies to prevent the development of atherosclerosis. Up-to-date and authoritative, Asymptomatic Atherosclerosis: Pathophysiology, Detection, and Treatment is a must-have for any cardiologist or primary care physician who wishes to practice modern preventive cardiology and manage the increasing number of asymptomatic atherosclerotic patients. Outlines more accurate measures of risk (coronary artery calcium and carotid intima-media thickness) than traditional risk factors (total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, HDL cholesterol) Presents new multipronged strategies to aid in the early detection and treatment of high risk asymptomatic patients
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.