This is a synthetic historical account of the rise of the corporation and its gradual consolidation of political, legal, and economic power in the United States and globally. Written for a general audience, the narrative traces the development of corporations from their earliest beginnings in the English craft and merchant guilds through the political and legal battles that allowed them to gain their current position of global power at the expense of democratic controls. Unlike other works on the topic, the author valuably extends the discussion of the development corporate rights beyond the infamous Supreme Court decision in Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad to identify three stages in the creation of corporate rights: legislative creation of corporate quasi-rights (1820-1900), judicial creation of corporate-constitutional rights (1886-1986), and trade agreement creation of corporate global rights (1987-present). For this new edition, he has added a chapter on alternatives that points to the European Union's corporate model. Annotation ©2006 Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.