- Table View
- List View
This is a synthetic historical account of the rise of the corporation and its gradual consolidation of political, legal, and economic power in the United States and globally. Written for a general audience, the narrative traces the development of corporations from their earliest beginnings in the English craft and merchant guilds through the political and legal battles that allowed them to gain their current position of global power at the expense of democratic controls. Unlike other works on the topic, the author valuably extends the discussion of the development corporate rights beyond the infamous Supreme Court decision in Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad to identify three stages in the creation of corporate rights: legislative creation of corporate quasi-rights (1820-1900), judicial creation of corporate-constitutional rights (1886-1986), and trade agreement creation of corporate global rights (1987-present). For this new edition, he has added a chapter on alternatives that points to the European Union's corporate model. Annotation ©2006 Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.