This book, written by one of the most well-known and contervercial coaches in gymnastics history, follows Bela Karolyi from his boyhood in a remote part of the Former Soviet Union to his Olympic glory with stars such as Nadia Comeneci and Mary-Lou Retton. He, along with his wife Marta, have created a gymnastics dynasty that is remarkable.
I honestly don't know what battles I'm going to face next, only that I have the spirit and the will to face anything and fight for my sport and for what I believe is right. I'll give 110 percent and still dig down deeper for more. Apolo Anton Ohno won both a gold and a silver medal at the 2002 Olympic Games and became an instant hero. But his Olympic victory represents just one moment of his incredible, and continuing journey.From an early age, his father, Yuki, recognized Apolo's natural abilities and made it his mission to help his son live up to his potential. But getting Apolo to follow through on his opportunities wasn't always easy. Like many kids, Apolo struggled to balance his energetic and fiercely competitive nature with his desire for independence and freedom. And even as he succeeded on the ice, he felt the loneliness that comes with being at the top. Amid the pain, the fear, the uncertainty, Apolo asked himself again and again, Why am I doing this? And the answer came to him: He truly loved to skate. So with laser-sharp focus he pursued his number-one goal: to become a great athlete.From his personal struggles to his unwavering commitment and ambition, Apolo Anton Ohno is a true example of courage. He has battled his personal demons, toppled physical barriers, and clawed his way to the top -- but even now he does not rest. Always, he looks within himself to hear his strongest critic, to face his fiercest competitor. And always, he continues to strive to be the best -- not just for his team, not just for his country -- but also for himself. And that is what makes Apolo Anton Ohno a true champion. This is his story.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.