- Table View
- List View
It is fall, and Beaver must make his winter house. Squirrel must hide acorns. Rabbit must gather bark and twigs. But Moose has nothing busy to do. How can Moose feel useful and important too? Set in the secure world of the woods, these gentle stories for beginning readers reveal the promise of enterprise in us all, as Moose sets out to find just what he is good at doing. Humorous tales takes the reader and Moose on a seasonal adventure. Come and see how busy a busy, busy moose can be!
Young readers are given an emotionally powerful yet accessible introduction to what it is like having a close family member with Alzheimer's disease in this deeply resonant story about the relationship between a girl and her grandmother. Grandma's whole family is concerned as they start to notice that she is becoming more and more forgetful. After they find her wandering the neighborhood, they need to make an important decision on her behalf--that the time has come for her to move out of her house and into an assisted living community where she can have the best care possible.
In the middle of the wide Argentine pampas there once grew a magic tree. Above this tree slept a bird so evil it could stop the rain from falling. And not far from this tree lived a brave boy who one day set out to save his village and all the creatures from dying of thirst. Illustrated with charming folk-art-like paintings and retold with simplicity and drama, this legend of a child's courage and faith explains why Argentineans believe that good luck can be found in the shade of a carob tree.
Moose has good friends in the woodland: Beaver, Squirrel, Rabbit, and Mouse. Together they count snowflakes, help one another out of fixes, and make practically perfect creatures out of snow. Set in the secure world of the woods, these tender, funny stories for beginning readers celebrate the simple joys of having friends both trusty and true. And the delicately silly illustrations capture the foibles and idiosyncrasies of each woodland creature, from Moose's skinny legs to Rabbit's long, floppy ears.
Shingebiss, the little merganser duck, could always find plenty to eat. In all seasons, the Great Lake was full of fish for him to catch. But one bitter cold year, the lake freezes over as solid as stone, and Shingebiss must find a way to fish through the ice. And to do that, he must face the fierce Winter Maker. Gracefully told and illustrated with vigorous full-color woodcuts, this ancient Ojibwe story captures all the power of winter on the coldest of northern nights and all the courage of a small being who refuses to see winter as his enemy. Passed down for generations by a people who perceive nature as a teacher, this story shows that those who follow the ways of Shingebiss will always have plenty to eat, no matter how hard the great wind of Winter Maker blows.
Rhyming text asks what happens to different animals and plants "when winter comes and the cold winds blow."
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.