- Table View
- List View
The Bedford Handbook carries on the Hacker tradition by responding to student writers' needs and to the way students need their handbook to work. Still a full-size handbook that doubles as a reference, the Handbook features clear, straightforward advice, hand-edited sentences, a user-friendly index, and a handy format. The eighth edition combines classic Hacker usability with a next-generation focus on academic writing and research and new navigation that helps students pull together advice and models for each assignment. Developed with the help of students and teachers at more than 35 colleges and universities, the new edition reflects the ways students write and revise in their composition course and beyond. What's more, The Bedford Handbook remains a portable size; it's still a comprehensive reference that's as easy to consult as it is to carry.
Used by nearly a quarter million students each year, A Pocket Style Manual is a straightforward, inexpensive quick reference, with content flexible enough to suit the needs of writers in the humanities, social sciences, sciences, health professions, business, fine arts, education, and beyond. Its slim format, brief length, and spiral binding make it easy for students to keep A Pocket Style Manual with them for every writing assignment, in any class. With its signature Hacker handbook quick-reference features--hand-edited sentences, color-coded documentation coverage, user-friendly index entries, and a clean, uncluttered design--A Pocket Style Manual has always provided fast, effective answers to writing and research questions. In the Hacker tradition, new coauthor Nancy Sommers has crafted solutions for the challenges today's college students face. The new edition provides even more help with research writing and supports students in every discipline.
Rules for Writers is a college writer's companion that covers writing, grammar, research, and documentation in an extremely affordable and portable spiral-bound format. From the best-selling family of handbooks,Rules has consistently been the best value for college writers. Now it's even more so. The Seventh Edition actually teaches students how to make better use of their handbook. With new material about how to integrate the handbook into lessons and class activities,Rules for Writers is an even more useful tool for instructors. Read the preface.
Rules for Writers succeeds because it has always been grounded in classroom experience. By looking at her own students' needs, Diana Hacker created an affordable and practical classroom tool that doubles as a quick reference. Developed with the help of instructors from two- and four-year schools, the sixth edition gives students quick access to the information they need to solve writing problems in any college course.
Having helped nearly 3 million students at 1,600 colleges and universities to write well,A Writer's Referencesucceeds because it has always been grounded in classroom experience. Nearly twenty years ago, Diana Hacker reinvented the college handbook by looking at her own students' needs. She crafted a first-of-its-kind reference that offered practical solutions to college writing problems in a language students could understand and in a format that was easy for them to use. Her many innovations -- hand-edited sentences, grammar checker boxes, student-friendly index entries, ESL coverage, and a lay-flat comb binding -- have been widely imitated but never improved upon. In the Hacker tradition, the new contributing authors -- Nancy Sommers, Tom Jehn, Jane Rosenzweig, and Marcy Carbajal Van Horn -- have crafted solutions for the writing problems of today's college students. Together they give us a new edition that provides more help with academic writing and that works better for a wider range of multilingual students.
A Writer's Reference, the most widely adopted handbook in the United States, continues to be groundbreaking in its simplicity, offering the right content in an accessible format. New coauthor Nancy Sommers's own research, campus travel, and classroom experience keep the handbook in tune with the needs of academic writers. In a trusted quick-reference format, the seventh edition delivers advice on all the right topics: working with sources, revising with comments, preparing a portfolio, and more. A Writer's Reference offers unprecedented flexibility with several versions to choose from -- a handbook that's truly at your service. Read the preface.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.