Forty years after the destruction of civilization, man is reduced to salvaging the ruins of a broken world. One man's most prized possession is Hemingway's classic, 'The old man and the sea'. With the words of the novel echoing across the wasteland, the survivor of a nuclear holocaust journeys into the unknown to break a curse.
The author of the acclaimed post-apocalyptic novel The Old Man and the Wasteland returns! Amid the remains of a world destroyed by a devastating Global Thermonuclear Armageddon, barbaric tribes rule the New American Dark Age. A boy and his horse must complete the final mission of the last United States soldier, and what unfolds is an epic journey across an America gone savage.
When the virtual world gets real . . .Gamer PerfectQuestion fights for ColaCorp in WarWorld, an online combat-sport arena where megacorporations field entire armies in the battle for dominance over real-world global-advertising space. Within the immense virtual battlefield, players and bots are high-tech grunts, using dropships and state-of-the-art assault rifles to attack the enemy.But when times are tough, there's always the Black, an illegal open-source tournament where the sick and twisted desires of the future are given free reign. And what begins as PerfectQuestion's onetime effort to make some cash quickly turns dangerous.All too soon, the real and virtual worlds collide when PerfectQuestion refuses to become the tool of a madman intent on hacking the global economy for himself and fights to stay alive--in WarWorld, in the Black, and in the real world.
Harper Voyager USA, part of the global science fiction and fantasy imprint of HarperCollins, presents Voyager, a free ebook sampler with excerpts from 15 new or upcoming releases, as well as an introduction from New York Times bestselling author Richard Kadrey.You'll find:An Introduction from Richard KadreyExcerpts fromThorn Jack by Katherine HarbourThe Stolen by Bishop O'ConnellThe God Hunter by Tim LeesSoda Pop Soldier by Nick ColeThe Getaway God by Richard KadreyOnce Upon a Rhyme by Jack HeckelDemon by Erik WilliamsThe Witch With No Name by Kim HarrisonClockwork Dagger by Beth CatoSuperheroes Anonymous by Lexie DunneAsylum Tales Part I: Demon's Fury by Jocelynn DrakeFish Tails by Sherri TepperBlack Dog by Caitlin KittredgeMetrophage by Richard KadreyOn Her Majesty's Behalf by Joseph Nassise
Nick Cole sends us on a suspenseful odyssey into the dark heart of post-apocalyptic America in this three-part adventure Forty years after a devastating thermonuclear Armageddon, mankind has been reduced to sal-vaging the ruins of a broken world. In a style that's part Hemingway and part Cormac McCarthy's The Road, The Wasteland Saga chronicles the struggle of the Old Man, his granddaughter, and a mysterious boy as they try to survive the savage lands of this new American Dark Age. With the words of the Old Man's most prized possession--a copy of Hemingway's classic The Old Man and the Sea--echoing across the wasteland, they journey into the unknown through three incredible tales of endurance and adventure in a land ravaged by destruction. Compiled for the first time in print, The Wasteland Saga comprises Nick Cole's novels The Old Man and the Wasteland, The Savage Boy, and The Road is a River.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.